'Dinky Toy' copies.

Dinky toys by Meccano
GHOSTHUNTER

'Dinky Toy' copies.

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

In this thread, I will show and comment on the various copies known to have been made of 'DINKY TOYS', it will be similar to my threads on "Matchbox" and Corgi toys.

I have several images of the plastic 'Friction' powered toys from Hong Kong, but welcome anything from forum members, however trivial you think it is, if it looks like a copy of a Dinky toy, lets have a look at it and we might be able to confirm it as such.

'DINKY TOYS' were the first British based commercial diecast toy company, with their first motor vehicles being introduced in 1933 as 'MODELLED MINIATURES', they formed part of a range of railway accessories. The name 'DINKY' coming a little later in 1934, and coined by someone observing the miniatures as..."Oh! aren't they dinkie...

...the rest is history.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shown below is a plastic copy of a fantastic Dinky toy I always wanted, but never got!

The model was made by 'TELSALDA', Hong Kong and 'Friction' powered. It shares virtually all the details of the Dinky original. This particular example is a later example of an earlier version of the model and the late 'TELSALDA' logo on the box end-flap dates it from the mid-late 1970's.

The model is larger than the Dinky, being around the 1/30th scale.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Attachments
'TELSALDA' Ford Transit Police accident unit van..jpg
'TELSALDA' Ford Transit Police accident unit van..jpg (33.28 KiB) Viewed 15788 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: 'Dinky Toy' copies.

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

'DINKY TOYS' No.287, Police Accident Unit..JPG
'DINKY TOYS' No.287, Police Accident Unit..JPG (23.68 KiB) Viewed 15787 times
...and here is the Dinky original.
Last edited by GHOSTHUNTER on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

The box artwork seems to have been inspired by the 3 item giftset that included this heavyweight -superb item, never seen by me before! I have had the Dinky since i was 7 when I had the Giftset for my birthday........
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

You lucky duck... :x , I did have the Fire Appliance version, with the black hose that you could pull out from the rear, and watch it go back in at speed when a lever was moved through the side door.

When I was fed up with putting model fires out, I removed the whole inner rear section, the roof moulding holding the ladder and bells, and converted it into a mobile shop and painted it Gloss Black! sadly it was a victim of a theft and all my models were stolen from a garage lock-up in the 1980's.

Regards
Ghosty.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

'NS' Animal Kingdom Adventure Set..jpg
'NS' Animal Kingdom Adventure Set..jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 15782 times
Here is a 'NS' Gift Set, titled...'Animal Kingdom Adventure Set'...it contains a plastic copy of the Ford Transit van, (the Police Accident Unit model, shown above) but with added side windows. It also has a plastic copy of the cameraman on his little platform, from the Corgi Commer, 'Samulson's film unit set', add to that a couple of plastic animals and wow, what a set for kids to play with!

GHOSTHUNTER.
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

A couple more dinky copies,tranny by lucky toy,daimler by mak
Attachments
DSCN3161.JPG
DSCN3161.JPG (336.87 KiB) Viewed 15777 times
DSCN3160.JPG
DSCN3160.JPG (347.71 KiB) Viewed 15777 times
DSCN3159.JPG
DSCN3159.JPG (324.85 KiB) Viewed 15777 times
DSCN3158.JPG
DSCN3158.JPG (337.32 KiB) Viewed 15777 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

'MAKS' Dinky copy.jpg
'MAKS' Dinky copy.jpg (26.53 KiB) Viewed 15759 times
Here is a 'MAKS' copy of the Dinky Toys Commer Fire Engine, friction powered and of course, from Hong Kong.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Dinky Toys No.555, Fire Engine.jpg
Dinky Toys No.555, Fire Engine.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 15758 times
...and here is the Dinky original. I had one of these in a later box and it was played with over and over again and with the Ford transit Fire appliance van, mentioned in an earlier post, I think I should have been a Fireman... :!:

GHOSTHUNTER.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

There is a series of Six plastic cars from Hong Kong, two of which are copies of 'DINKY TOYS', a Vauxhall Victor 'FC' 101 and a MkIV, Ford Zodiac. They are not exact copies (as if they had been made in the same moulds from Dinky), as they are of slightly different dimensions.

The ones shown here are from the early 1970's, with a 'Logo' on the front corner of the box, showing an 'Aladdin's Lamp', but I do not know of this company or distributor. I have been told these models were originally made by the 'BLUE BOX' company during the time of the originals in the 1960's.

The other Four models being copies of Corgi Toys, have been put in that thread, so see them in there.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Attachments
Vauxhall Victor 'FC' 101..jpg
Vauxhall Victor 'FC' 101..jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 15705 times
Ford Cortina and Ford Zodiac..jpg
Ford Cortina and Ford Zodiac..jpg (78.27 KiB) Viewed 15705 times
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

The Transit police van is indeed one of my favorite models.If you search Ebay you will find hundreds and usualy in bits or wanting some restoration..They should have persivered with this one and cornered the market that Matchbox Yesterday picked up.
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25