9a Dennis Fire Engine

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
nickjones
Site Admin

Re: 9a Dennis Fire Engine

Post by nickjones »

Hi all.
Well I guess I am a bit late here but I do have a 9a with the same ladder wheels as Richie. I could not match the ladder wheels to any other Lesney toy so I assumed they were probably replacement wheels, This thread has me wondering if they might be an early rejected wheel. I am going to clacton on saturday and I will pick up the fire engine and take another good look at it and get some pics, watch this space as they say.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:I think I may have a photograph somewhere (saved from a Vectis auction?).
Unfortunately I was mistaken.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nickjones wrote:Hi all.
Well I guess I am a bit late here but I do have a 9a with the same ladder wheels as Richie. I could not match the ladder wheels to any other Lesney toy so I assumed they were probably replacement wheels, This thread has me wondering if they might be an early rejected wheel. I am going to clacton on saturday and I will pick up the fire engine and take another good look at it and get some pics, watch this space as they say.
Curiouser and curiouser! It'll be interesting to see whether yours has paint on the crimped end.
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Duh... I forgot to pick up the fire engine when I was there but I do remember the ladder wheels looked like they were originally black and were over painted red exactly the same as the one that started this thread, the mystery deepens!!!.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

nickjones wrote:Duh... I forgot to pick up the fire engine when I was there but I do remember the ladder wheels looked like they were originally black and were over painted red exactly the same as the one that started this thread, the mystery deepens!!!.
Hi Nick, Hugh, Jason and all,

Ah..was looking forward to seeing a pic of yours Nick. I have given this a little more thought since your earlier post.
Two other points of interest to consider is that the 9a was made from 1955 to 1958 and the first version had open cast in driver detail. This one being discussed here looks to have the later closed driver casting, ie Code 4 onward.
The Y4-2 Shand Mason came in during 1960-1967, so either they were experimenting with wheels in 1955 to 1958 or this 9a model was assembled after 1960 using Shand Mason wheels. Although it raises another question in how much earlier was this 13 spoke wheel designed for the Y4-2.

More questions than answers for this mystery I guess.

Regards
Bert
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hi,

I got this replacement wheels for the 9a Dennis fire engine from Modelcarparts.
Has there ever been a version with diameter 10,5 mm and 10 spokes?
It is not listet on Nicks list.
Ther are only Diameter 13mm wheels listed.
If someone does have this model could he please post a photo of it?

Stephan
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
9a Dennis.JPG (59.82 KiB) Viewed 705 times
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Malibu wrote:Hi,

I got this replacement wheels for the 9a Dennis fire engine from Modelcarparts.
Has there ever been a version with diameter 10,5 mm and 10 spokes?
It is not listet on Nicks list.
Ther are only Diameter 13mm wheels listed.
If someone does have this model could he please post a photo of it?
Stephan
Hello Stephan,
This thread here may answer your request about 10 spoke wheels as shown on a model from Antonin and on page 3 a reference to BenBros 27 – 1906 Rolls-Royce from the Mighty Midgets series.
All the best
Bert
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hi,

did somebody move my post to here ore was I to stupid to read this threat before my posting??
Anyway thanks for your help.
Now I know I received the right parts.

Stephan