9a Dennis Fire Engine

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Richy_Rich

9a Dennis Fire Engine

Post by Richy_Rich »

First post so please excuse me if in wrong place (though I think this is right).

The Nick Jones website lists this fire engine as having 12 spokes on the 'ladder wheel' - and a few rare versions with 16. I have come across one with 13 (on both sides). Looks completely 'legit' to me. Does anyone have any ideas or come across one?

I have some good pictures but need a recommended file site to upload them to.

Thanks,
Richard
Idris
Site Admin

Re: 9a Dennis Fire Engine

Post by Idris »

Richy_Rich wrote:First post so please excuse me if in wrong place (though I think this is right).
The "Missing & unlisted 1-75 RW Variations" area is for catalogure-related discussions. I have therefore moved your post to the "Lesney Matchbox regular wheels 1-75" area.
Welcome aboard by the way!
fixer

Post by fixer »

either use a host site like photobucket or reduce any pictures to about 650 pixles and use the upload attachment option bellow the area where you type your post
reg
Richy_Rich

Post by Richy_Rich »

Photos attached - shown next to a 'standard' 12 spoke version for comparison.

Richy_Rich

Post by Richy_Rich »

If I've used photobucket correctly in theory there are some pictures below. Where there's two it's just to show what my 12 spoke version looks like in comparison with the 13 spoke one.
I read on another thread that the wagon wheels have been found on this fire engine - like these wheels, with squared rims, but these still have the 12 spokes unlike this with 13?!

Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Hmmmm.....Antonin also has a 9a with anomalous escape wheels. Does anyone recognise them?

By the looks of it, the escape wheels were originally black and have been overpainted in red. That to me points to reuse. I don't think a dome-headed escape wheel shaft is correct on a 9a, and the shaft crimp should be red rather than bare metal.

I'm plumping for a post-factory modification on this one.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi all,
Recently bought this model, found the Y4 Shand Mason has very similar wheels with 13 spokes.
Wheel does seem to be missing a small lip around the inner edge where the spokes meet the outer wheel, but I am not sure if maybe there are early type wheels for this model.
May need the Yesteryear experts for that one as I can only find one at the moment, I think this model was in the Staceys auction in a job lot so could be a friday special.
9a
9a
9a.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

On a normal production model, the crimp would be painted rather than bare metal.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Idris wrote:On a normal production model, the crimp would be painted rather than bare metal.
Not sure this is a production model,(not sure what it is) but it is more of a comment about the wheels that were used really.
Always worth looking out in the future as they look very similar to the squared rimmed style used on the later 9a and 9b.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:On a normal production model, the crimp would be painted rather than bare metal.
Is the head end of the escape wheel axle painted or bare metal?