which MATCHBOX car would you choose to win this race?

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
vetrad

Re: which MATCHBOX car would you choose to win this race?

Post by vetrad »

If the suspension is intact on the 27B Lambo, I bet it will do quite well. I think the slingshot may bottom out in the loop with its long wheel base and pointy nose. The Monteverdi Hai would be my #2.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Narrow wheels are not the way to go because they move too much on the axle.A wide heavy SF with low friction is likely to be the winner, a #68 Porsche 910 should do very well but wont beat a very good Hotwheels Redline if anybody brings one
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It would have been handy to see the likely competition models, as generally speaking a 'Hot Wheels' car will beat a 'Matchbox' car, even both models of the same type and of recent production, the 'Matchbox' will lose. My assessment is based on both cars being of the same period of production, 1960's to 70's and the 'Matchbox' if in better condition than a 'Red Line' will win.

We await the results and hope whatever car Marcel chooses does well.

GHOSTHUNTER.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:It would have been handy to see the likely competition models, as generally speaking a 'Hot Wheels' car will beat a 'Matchbox' car, even both models of the same type and of recent production, the 'Matchbox' will lose. My assessment is based on both cars being of the same period of production, 1960's to 70's and the 'Matchbox' if in better condition than a 'Red Line' will win.

We await the results and hope whatever car Marcel chooses does well.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Over on hobby talk they have done this sort of event and discovered that if you have a big drop at the start heavier cars go fastest but that they come off on later tight loops and curves if they go too fast so a medium weight wide tracked car with minimal surface contact with track like Porsche 910 or even slightly narrower Ford Group 6 should do well on both 1st and 2nd half of the track. The 1977 - 82 Hong Kong versions of the Hotwheels Hotbird with basic wheels or gold wheels beats just about everything else Hotwheels ever made on this mixed track with Redline Formula 1 cars being fastest on complicated loop and curve challeges because they are light with low drag.Wonder how an SF19 Lotus or SF34 F1 would perform???
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It is too late now, but maybe Marcel can post the racing requirements regards any classes, Saloon, Sports or GT class of car, because it surely would be unfare to just put any Two models in a race so maybe Marcel is only running a car in one class, the GT class where his Group 6 should do well.

I know this question of who is faster between 'Hot Wheels' and 'Matchbox' has been rumbling on for Years, every new generation of collectors who discover these Two brands will come to wonder what the answer is and I am sure it has been tested on many occasions with differing results, so we don't really know the answer.

GHOSTHUNTER.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

Today I left home just over 6.15 for a train to the east where I met a collectorfriend.
From 7.10 we went by car to the south and we visited some shops for 3-inch models.
Around 10.15 we were at the 3 inch meeting in Hoogstraten.
More atendees then last year. I will post some photos of both the shops we visited and the 3 inch meeting in another tread.
We had a lot fun today at the race which started at 11.30 orso and atracted aprox 45 participants.
We had great fun and ofcourse there was the batlle between Matchbox and Hotwheels collectors.
The Majorette and Siku participants were there and just gived there model to the organiser Robby to launch.

Inspection by Mr Matchbox, John Nijhuis

The loop was very small and John Nijhuis suggested longer tracks for the loop should have been used.
We all got a wooden block with your name on it and you had to place this next to the track at the car's finish.
We all got 2 chances.

There were over 40 entries.

I became 4rd ! (if we disqualify the Hotwheel models !) :D
I just finished after the 2nd blue curve.

Best Matchbox was Remco's SF2 Hot Rod Jeep in pink (without front window)

2nd best Matchbox was Serge's SF4 Gruesome Twosome
3nd best Matchbox was Kristoff's SF71 Cattle Truck (including the cows !) (his model was just only aprox 20 cm more far then mine !)

Seriously: the 1st 8 orso places were taken by Hotwheel models and all 3 first places were taken by youngsters so in state of being a wise old collector who had looked to the weight and the running of the wheels and the airodimention of the car etc best advise is just take the car you like.

One of the 1st entries was this Hotwheels (car) (is it a car ?) from Lars, son of Kristof. He was ahead and stayed so so he won 1st price.

There was no price for who had his entrie car the longest in possession.
A pitty, as I have my model for 42 years now and many of the participants were not even as old as that !

We left aaround 13.00 after the awards ceremony and a piece of cake from one of the members who celebrated his birthday here.

After this event we drove to the Dutch city of Oosterhout for the toymuseum to see the Matchbox exhbition of John Nijhuis.
I had already visited this exhbition on may 17th and photos were posted here but my collectorfriend only saw the exhbition today.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3699

A very good day it was.

MATCHBOXmarcel
matchboxmarcel
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Looks like a lot of fun!
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thank you Marcel for the report and pictures.

So, you were 4th in a mixed bag of model brands but mostly it seems modern 'Hot Wheels'. Congratulations for your result, at least the nice old model did not let you down and she clearly performed to her best ability.

It looked like a lot of fun, but not very scientific, so the results were expected from those modern 'Hot Wheels' models, as they will even out perform modern 'Matchbox'.

Good luck for next Year... :D

GHOSTHUNTER.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Thank you Marcel for the report and pictures.

So, you were 4th in a mixed bag of model brands but mostly it seems modern 'Hot Wheels'. Congratulations for your result, at least the nice old model did not let you down and she clearly performed to her best ability.

It looked like a lot of fun, but not very scientific, so the results were expected from those modern 'Hot Wheels' models, as they will even out perform modern 'Matchbox'.

Good luck for next Year... :D

GHOSTHUNTER.
Kevin I only became 4rd if we disqualify all the Hotwheel models !
If we consider them as real cars I became 14th or 15th orso.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

OK Marcel, thanks for making it clearer for me. Still not that bad though and it gives you something to aim for next Year, by trying a different car or even using a modern 'Hot Wheels' car yourself.

GHOSTHUNTER.