#39 Rolls Pre-Pro?

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: #39 Rolls Pre-Pro?

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Kevin C, using your own picture, I have superimposed the 'Short' exhaust next to the normal 'Long' exhaust to show the difference in length between a full production model and the 'Pre-Pro' model.
IMG_3779.jpg
IMG_3779.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Don't feel that your postings here were not worth the effort, far from it, because by all of us here joining-in, hopefully we have educated somebody else who may have similar models so of course similar questions.

GHOSTHUNTER.
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Hello Kevin C, using your own picture, I have superimposed the 'Short' exhaust next to the normal 'Long' exhaust to show the difference in length between a full production model and the 'Pre-Pro' model.
Thanks for the picture, I am so darn blind I didn't even see the exhaust pipes at all! :)
Don't feel that your postings here were not worth the effort, far from it, because by all of us here joining-in, hopefully we have educated somebody else who may have similar models so of course similar questions.
GHOSTHUNTER.
Thanks, nothing better than learning something new, even at my advanced age. Sadly, I am sitting at my desk trying to get some work done, and am now seeing "shocking" rivets on every model I look at. Can you explain what was wrong with the rivets on the two models I showed, and what would be right on another model? I am now getting increasingly paranoid!

Thanks,

Kevin C
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

We apologize for the sudden change of direction of your mentality... :lol:

Here is a model from the same period as #39 Rolls-Royce and this is a 'Colour Trial' model, fully finished and produced on the same 'Flow-Line' as the full production models, it's rivet is very distinctively formed with no or very little paint in the 'Countersunk' area.
LS39b-prabpl.jpg
LS39b-prabpl.jpg (49.66 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Here is a model from the late-80's with another typical rivet, from Thailand.
Late-80's.JPG
Late-80's.JPG (78.18 KiB) Viewed 369 times
The rivets on your Two models have clearly been tampered with in respect of the baseplates have been removed to allow the repainting of the bodies, the rivets have then been re-pressed with what looks like evidence of a small screw driver blade, but during the repainting process, the inner rivet area has been painted in the same colour as the body.

GHOSTHUNTER.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

kmc500 wrote:
Tinman wrote:I'm far from a superfast expert, but the base rivets on both the models you've shown look pretty dodgy
Thanks for the information. Here are a couple of macro pics; please let me know your thoughts.

Rolls:

Police Patrol:

Having known the original collector of these cars, I find the possibility that they may be repaints disorienting, although I suppose there are a lot of reasons why he might have had them (and was not involved in a repaint). It might explain the fact that they were fairly unprotected in an open, hand made wooden collectors case, and very unlike most of his collection which was more safely stored in plastic display cases.

I suppose it is all just conjecture; it sure gives you a start when you pull three possible pre-pros out of the same box (that I have been ignoring for weeks as it is so filthy from storage). I will take pictures of the third and pass them along, in for a penny in for a pound.

Kevin C
great photos showing rivits which have been lightly drilled to remove just the top lip that covered the gap between rivit and edge of rivit holes,which are never visible on factory spun baseplates
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

SMS88 wrote:
great photos showing rivits which have been lightly drilled to remove just the top lip that covered the gap between rivit and edge of rivit holes,which are never visible on factory spun baseplates
Now I get it, thanks! I was getting bogged down on the paint in the rivet hole and missing the obvious fact of the missing rivet "shoulder". Thanks for the tutorial, that was very helpful.

Kevin C