#39 Rolls Pre-Pro?

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
kmc500

#39 Rolls Pre-Pro?

Post by kmc500 »

Hi all.

I have two models that I found amidst a collection I am sorting that appear to be pre-production models. At least I cannot find their current manifestations in any of the references I am using. I figured I would list them separately here with pictures and ask the experts.

Here are the pics of the Rolls:

To me, this is the most interesting angle. It is obvious that there is a repair to the cast. I would expect to read about this somewhere but have not as yet.

Thanks as always for any thoughts you all have.

Kevin C
Tinman

Re: #39 Rolls Pre-Pro?

Post by Tinman »

I'm far from a superfast expert, but the base rivets on both the models you've shown look pretty dodgy
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
motorman

Post by motorman »

I am also unconvinced, can you please take some macro images of the rivet from various angles please.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Rivit does look drilled and then painted to me from the one photo i can see. Grain in the paint isnt as fine as SF I am familiar with
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

There is a known 'Pre-Pro' model here...viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3641 It has the 'Short' exhaust pipes, but the one shown above has the normal Production 'Long' exhaust pipes, so I suspect it could be a repaint to look like the known Blue 'Pre-Pro' model. Yes, more detailed pictures please.

GHOSTHUNTER.
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:There is a known 'Pre-Pro' model here...viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3641 It has the 'Short' exhaust pipes, but the one shown above has the normal Production 'Long' exhaust pipes, so I suspect it could be a repaint to look like the known Blue 'Pre-Pro' model. Yes, more detailed pictures please.
Thanks for the information. Sorry to be obtuse, but where are the exhaust pipes that you are referring to?

Kevin C
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

SMS88 wrote:Rivit does look drilled and then painted to me from the one photo i can see. Grain in the paint isnt as fine as SF I am familiar with
Thanks for your thoughts. I am taking some more close-up pics; my macro work leaves a bit to be desired, but I have changed apps - maybe that will help.

Kevin C
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

Tinman wrote:I'm far from a superfast expert, but the base rivets on both the models you've shown look pretty dodgy
Thanks for the information. Here are a couple of macro pics; please let me know your thoughts.

Rolls:

Police Patrol:

Having known the original collector of these cars, I find the possibility that they may be repaints disorienting, although I suppose there are a lot of reasons why he might have had them (and was not involved in a repaint). It might explain the fact that they were fairly unprotected in an open, hand made wooden collectors case, and very unlike most of his collection which was more safely stored in plastic display cases.

I suppose it is all just conjecture; it sure gives you a start when you pull three possible pre-pros out of the same box (that I have been ignoring for weeks as it is so filthy from storage). I will take pictures of the third and pass them along, in for a penny in for a pound.

Kevin C
motorman

Post by motorman »

I hate to put a downer on your story kmc500 but the rivets on both models are shocking and have clearly been tampered with. The #20 police patrol base hole clearly shows signs of having been drilled. I would not consider either of these genuine factory prepros in any shape or form. Now that is just my opinion so you may wish to consider the opinions of the other SF collector members.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

motorman wrote:I hate to put a downer on your story kmc500 but the rivets on both models are shocking and have clearly been tampered with. The #20 police patrol base hole clearly shows signs of having been drilled. I would not consider either of these genuine factory prepros in any shape or form.
Thanks, I came here because I respect your and the others opinions. I must say that I am perturbed with myself that I don't (or did not) see the shocking condition of the rivets. If I had, I would not have bothered with posting these at all.

Nice way to ruin one of the few Spring afternoons here in New England! :)

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin C