Superfast 62B Rat Rod Mercury Cougar

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
SMS88

Re: Superfast 62B Rat Rod Mercury Cougar

Post by SMS88 »

If you can, why not post a large closeup of one of the rear wheels ? If it becomes clear that the whole set were never hot foiled rather than having it removed (not likely but not impossible given earlier photos already seen ) then there could be a case for factory special status however known pre-pros and colour trials of this model had 5 slot rear wheels not these standard 4 slotters!
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

SMS88 wrote:If you can, why not post a large closeup of one of the rear wheels ? If it becomes clear that the whole set were never hot foiled rather than having it removed (not likely but not impossible given earlier photos already seen ) then there could be a case for factory special status however known pre-pros and colour trials of this model had 5 slot rear wheels not these standard 4 slotters!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will. I am not sure how close I can get with my crappy camera, but let me know if this works.

Well, I took about twenty pictures with macro setting and could not get one to focus. I will try again when I have a moment. Can you suggest as to what you would be looking for? I have a loupe and magnifier and have looked at the wheels with that, but of course I have no idea for what I am looking.

Thanks.

Kevin C
motorman

Post by motorman »

kmc500 wrote:
SMS88 wrote:If you can, why not post a large closeup of one of the rear wheels ? If it becomes clear that the whole set were never hot foiled rather than having it removed (not likely but not impossible given earlier photos already seen ) then there could be a case for factory special status however known pre-pros and colour trials of this model had 5 slot rear wheels not these standard 4 slotters!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will. I am not sure how close I can get with my crappy camera, but let me know if this works.

Well, I took about twenty pictures with macro setting and could not get one to focus. I will try again when I have a moment. Can you suggest as to what you would be looking for? I have a loupe and magnifier and have looked at the wheels with that, but of course I have no idea for what I am looking.

Thanks.

Kevin C
FOIL!!! you are looking for remnants of the original foil that may have been left behind if someone has removed the silver foil. :D
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
numi

Post by numi »

Hi Kevin,look closely for any previous burn/rounding where the foil would normally be present.Unfoiled wheels should have almost perfect flat surfaces and much sharper ends on the design areas.
Hope this helps or could someone on here explain in more detail.
numi
Attachments
#45 5 arch wheels.JPG
#45 5 arch wheels.JPG (80.97 KiB) Viewed 225 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
kmc500

Post by kmc500 »

Thanks Numi!

Kevin C