SF#32 RARE BP TANKER?

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
fixer

Re: SF#32 RARE BP TANKER?

Post by fixer »

I love this Al and if I had seen it you wouldn't have it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
like Hugh the wrecker labels passed by without me noticing but the grey base and centred labels are nice
reg
vetrad

Post by vetrad »

That is an interesting model because when the factory used different labels on a model it was usually because they ran out of the standard one. For example, when the BP labels ran out, the 32A got the Burmah labels and the 13A got the Esso labels. That one I assume must have been a late issue from the time of those Superfast gas station sets that came with the 32A, 13A and 15A. It would suggest to me the factory ran out of the square 32 BP label slightly before they ran out of the cut 13A label, and probably used some remaining 13A labels on the tankers before applying the Burmah labels. You appear to have discovered one of those cross over models. Great find and previously unreported variation to my knowledge!

-David
motorman

Post by motorman »

Thanks everyone for the comments, i am extremely happy to have noticed this one amongst the many #32's on line and David i would hope that some other forum members may have another example in their collection and your timeline theory seems very credible. I am interested to see if there are more out there. Now i am on the lookout for a grey base SF#32 with the Burmah labels. I missed out on the last one i bid for!!!
Last edited by motorman on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
motorman

Post by motorman »

vetrad wrote: You appear to have discovered one of those cross over models. Great find and previously unreported variation to my knowledge!
-David

David, I have found another example on Christians site. Again the label is centered and is on the grey base variant. I am sure Christian won't mind me borrowing the image below.

So there are more out there!!!
Attachments
LS32a-f07a.jpg
LS32a-f07a.jpg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 668 times
MOTORMAN

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It seems logical to adopt the 'BP' label seen on the #13 Dodge Wreck Truck for all models requiring one, rather than go to the trouble of having Two types prepaired at source and these 'Dodge' labels on the Tanker are unusual, but must have been expected to up turn up sooner or later and good to know there are now Two of them, giving Authenticity to the example found by "Motorman".

GHOSTHUNTER.
fixer

Post by fixer »

interestingly the labels are reversed i.e the cutouts are on opposite corners in the one on Christians site and MM's little beauty
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The model now owned by Alex has the labels from the 'Off-Side' of the Truck and the one on Christian's site has the labels from the 'Near-Side', assuming the Truck is on British roads.

GHOSTHUNTER.
motorman

Post by motorman »

fixer wrote:interestingly the labels are reversed i.e the cutouts are on opposite corners in the one on Christians site and MM's little beauty
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The model now owned by Alex has the labels from the 'Off-Side' of the Truck and the one on Christian's site has the labels from the 'Near-Side', assuming the Truck is on British roads.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Yes indeed I had noted that little difference but i recon it is fair to consider this a genuine label variation given 2 examples now exist!
MOTORMAN

Ergomatic

Post by Ergomatic »

Great find, Alex! You are an eagleeye!

Peter
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

Hi Alex

I will PM you my adress so you can sent this to my. This is nothing for you...... :lol: :lol: