Unknown Rolamatic

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

Unknown Rolamatic

Post by Idris »

Did anyone else notice the (for me at least) previously unknown Rolamatic which was recently auctioned on Ebay (here) - photographs below.
Can anyone say what is missing from the roof?
Attachments
SF3.jpg
SF3.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
SF2.jpg
SF2.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
SF1.jpg
SF1.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
nearlymint

Re: Unknown Rolamatic

Post by nearlymint »

I did see this but knew it would go way out of my league. Need to get more detailed pictures really as its very hard to tell from the ones that were available.
What a great model though and fantastic on display.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
numi

Post by numi »

Idris wrote:Did anyone else notice the (for me at least) previously unknown Rolamatic which was recently auctioned on Ebay (here) - photographs below.
Can anyone say what is missing from the roof?
..."previously unknown Rolomatic".....please explain further Idris as im not too clued-up with these Superfast/Rolomatic castings.
Thanks
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

numi wrote:..."previously unknown Rolomatic".....please explain further Idris as im not too clued-up with these Superfast/Rolomatic castings.
Thanks
numi
What I mean by that is that this model was never issued as a Rolamatic and it's not one of the unreleased Rolamatics pictured in the 40 years book. Hence "unknown" (at least to me).
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Probably a lamp of very similar design to that used on the Rolamatics Range Rover police + army
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

SMS88 wrote:Probably a lamp of very similar design to that used on the Rolamatics Range Rover police + army
That's what I thought until I went back through my 'sold listings' in search of a Rolomatics Police Range Rover I knew I'd sold some months ago. It had a circular boss on the roof which is much much lower than this semi-circular one. But, then again, I can't think what else you'd put on top of an ambulance...........
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

'Unknown Rolamatic'

Does it not lend itself to a sci-fi model, with a chrome plated antenna on the roof that would turn as part of the 'Rolamatic' feature!

Just a thought,
GHOSTHUNTER.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Thta particular shade of blue was used by the London Metropolitan Police for their Rovers 1969-77 so i suspect this was intended to be some sort of Police vehicle
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Does it not lend itself to a sci-fi model, with a chrome plated antenna on the roof that would turn as part of the 'Rolamatic' feature!
Regrettably the same could be said for most of the 1-75 range of that era!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Idris wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Does it not lend itself to a sci-fi model, with a chrome plated antenna on the roof that would turn as part of the 'Rolamatic' feature!
Regrettably the same could be said for most of the 1-75 range of that era!
Yes, but imagine the S.H.A.D.O. vehicle out of the TV series, "UFO" parked next to it and that's the sort of sci-fi vehicle I could see this being developed into.

GHOSTHUNTER.