Selling My Collection

Free buy, sell, wanted and swap ads
Forum rules
All deals are wholly private in nature.
VBD accepts neither responsibility nor liability for any aspect of any deal.
matchboxrw

Selling My Collection

Post by matchboxrw »

I wanted to let you know that I am going to sell the Matchbox collection that makes up the http://www.regularwheel.com (http://www.mbxrw.com) website. I have been thinking about it for a while and decided it is time to let it go. The collection is to the point that I don’t know what or how my family would deal with it if something were to happen to me. I am like you, a Matchbox collector and going through this process is going to be tough, but I feel it is the right thing to do.

Some of the items are not on the website. The boxes for the regular wheels are folded in top loaders and in 75 note books accordingly.

I have contacted several auction houses and we are currently in discussions. Due to the size of the collection it would be a multiple day auction and it could require two or three auction houses. This week I will begin to sell my Husky, Budgie, Corgi, and other items on ebay.

Please let me know if you or someone you know would like to make an offer on the entire collection (serious offers only). Time is of the essence due to the commitment that I will have to make with the auction house(s).

Thanks,
Matchboxrw

info@mbxrw.com
Tinman

Re: Selling My Collection

Post by Tinman »

Steve, I know the emotions that you are going through. It seems a shame to see one of the worlds great collections go to the four winds, but (as we all know) nothing is forever.

In retrospect, I wish I had let my collection go to an auction house. I didn't have the volume you have but it was still overwhelming at times. Took over three years of private sales and ebay sales and consumed far too much spare time in the process. That said, It's a relief to remove that burden from my family as well as the wife and myself. I'm finding tons of other stuff to do including traveling and really don't miss all that much.

In the over all scheme of things, I live pretty close and I'm kicking myself for never getting up your way to see the collection in person. I'll even be very close by in just about ten days ... and, as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short. :cry: I hope the auction is well attended and everything goes for top dollar! I hope you stay with the online portion of the hobby as your expertise will always be of great value to collectors everywhere. Oh, and welcome to the club of us old farts who have loved the models all these years and let them go for the next generation to enjoy.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
matchboxrw

Post by matchboxrw »

If you are in the area in 10 days let me know. Unless someone buys the collection straight out, it will be two or three weeks before the auction people would come and pick it up.

Steve
Fox

Post by Fox »

Oh..

I can't imagine today I'll have to do it one day. Sad moment I presume.

Fortunately I've just discovered your fabulous website.
Corgi-toys ergo sum
petethesweet1

Post by petethesweet1 »

Hi all, what a great collection I think it beats the one in the Mill, would love to cherry pick it. There seems to be a lot of large collections coming up lately, are people getting cold feet Pete
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

petethesweet1 wrote:Hi all, what a great collection I think it beats the one in the Mill, would love to cherry pick it. There seems to be a lot of large collections coming up lately, are people getting cold feet Pete
One foot in the grave is closer to the mark for many sellers in a time where globalisation is wiping out the middle classes of the western world and grandparents are happy to sell off investment - collections to get their grandkids a better crack at having a career in a world where creating your own opportunity is the best chance for prosperity.
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

SMS88 wrote:
petethesweet1 wrote:Hi all, what a great collection I think it beats the one in the Mill, would love to cherry pick it. There seems to be a lot of large collections coming up lately, are people getting cold feet Pete
One foot in the grave is closer to the mark for many sellers in a time where globalisation is wiping out the middle classes of the western world and grandparents are happy to sell off investment - collections to get their grandkids a better crack at having a career in a world where creating your own opportunity is the best chance for prosperity.
That and the cost of kids trying to buy a house. It gets to be nigh on impossible lately so if you can help out its great. I think the main reason is so many collectors are getting older and really time to hang up the hobby and enjoy life ( whats bloody left of it !!)
hydra427

Post by hydra427 »

Steve, So sorry to hear this but I fully understand. At one point in my life I had over 20,000 comic books including some of the nicest Silver Age books around. They all went to a dealer that took out a second mortgage on his home so he could buy them up. I would love to cherry pick the collection and take some of the rarer models off your hands but it would be a shame to break it up this way and would take for ever to sell. Please keep us informed where the collection will be sold at so that we have the chance to own a piece of history unless somebody makes an offer you can't pass up.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for looking, John
"For everyone you pass up, your always one behind"
petethesweet1

Post by petethesweet1 »

Hi all, I think the fun of collecting is the chase they always say the chase is better than the catch, I think there is more stuff out there than people realise I heard over the weekend that are three very large collections coming up for auction this year.I think times are getting harder with interest rates so low, you don't know where you are with your pensions ect. I don't think the younger generation are collectors like we are.I go to a few toy fairs through out the year & I don't see many younger collectors buying die cast, they seem to be buying star wars & action men. Pete
tjlglass

Post by tjlglass »

Personally I think now is the best time to buy and pick up a few bargains, that's what im doing anyway.