Re: MOTORMANS FINDS

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

...and look at how many ladders are missing from models. The Lemon model is very play-worn but it still has a ladder! surely this would have gone missing, so I believe several of those models have replacement ladders, from the Rolls-Royce!

There is One oddity, a Tan ladder with small square 'End-Pips' but there is also a Rolls-Royce with one of these fitted (sadly not in my collection), so this is interesting, but coloured ladders would have been trialed after the introduction of the Rolls-Royce in 1977, as with many plastic components were still 'Colour Trialed' long after a model with what we might term as a 'Standard Colour' was issued!

GHOSTHUNTER.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

motorman wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Johnboy, pictures please of your ladders to make my above posting true or false...!

Ghosty.
Kevin i remain unconvinced and don't buy into this "PIP" theory just yet ;) How do YOU explain the tan ladders on my 1969 issue?
Sorry Alex, I do not call it Tan, look on Christian's site for a proper Tan ladder.

GHOSTHUNTER.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Here is the Merryweather from Christian's site with a Tan ladder, it is captioned as a 'Pre-Production' model, but if so, why are the ladder clamps on the roof 'Angled', a Full production detail!
Christian's image.jpg
Christian's image.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 422 times
GHOSTHUNTER.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Ghosty, i found my 1969 Merryweather sitting on a train enthusiasts stall and paid 50p for it!

It is inconceavable that he would have swapped an original standard white ladder for another one.

I am convinced that this ladder is contempary to the model which leaves only one question are we confusing the colour description?? So should i be describing this ladder as RED? to me it looks more a dark red/brown than red.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
numi

Post by numi »

U did pretty well lately MM with these superb finds. :D Congrats
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
motorman

Post by motorman »

numi wrote:U did pretty well lately MM with these superb finds. :D Congrats
numi
Thanks Numi....do you have anything to add to this ladder discussion?? :?
MOTORMAN

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Here is a perfectly normal pre-1980 Y-6 'Fire Engine' with what I call Orange-Red ladder. After 1980, the 'End-Pips' were made much larger and with a rounded profile. From 1981, the colour was changed to a definate Brown, absolutely no Red or Orange tint to it's colour.
Perfectly normal pre-1980 Y-6 Rols-Royce.JPG
Perfectly normal pre-1980 Y-6 Rols-Royce.JPG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 412 times
GHOSTHUNTER.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Ghosty i have seen at least 4 examples of these ladders appearing on 1969 models in the past week on ebay, including the Merryweather i picked up today. The dates just dont add up? why:?
MOTORMAN

numi

Post by numi »

Ghosty & MM,truth be told that i have seen Tan & Reddish ladders but have no idea of their origin & purpose.Just the other day 3x Fire Engines ended at 14gbp.Two were reddish-Brown and the other White.One Reddish-Brown specimen was in excellent condition.
Most crucially,i do not know what casting differences to look for but heres 2x White ladder examples to view/analyze.
numi
Attachments
IMG_6138.JPG
IMG_6138.JPG (143.1 KiB) Viewed 410 times
RARE FLAME PROOF WOOL.JPG
RARE FLAME PROOF WOOL.JPG (123.49 KiB) Viewed 410 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Well, if it can be proven these ladders as shown above on the Rolls-Royce were first fitted to the Merryweather, it means the 'Forty Years' book is wrong and the History of the Rolls-Royce is wrong and given that the contributors to the 'Forty Years' book are ex senior members of staff at Lesney!!

GHOSTHUNTER.