Casting #28

A showcase of !-75 reg wheel models, a new model every week
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Casting #28

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Jason, I don't have this model, but looking at the Three pictures you have posted above, tends to show Three sizes for that little brace, are there Three sizes and looking at the pictures in the order you have posted them clearly shows the first brace as very fine and the last picture with a very thick brace but to me the one in the middle is between these two, is that correct or is it an illusion ?

Ghosty.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Ghosty,
Yes thats right there are 3 different size braces.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

quote]Given that the tanks are very solid on this model and there is no brace on the left side, does anyone know why a brace was needed?[/quote]
nearlymint wrote:Not sure why this was modified.J
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Jason, I don't have this model, but looking at the Three pictures you have posted above, tends to show Three sizes for that little brace, are there Three sizes and looking at the pictures in the order you have posted them clearly shows the first brace as very fine and the last picture with a very thick brace but to me the one in the middle is between these two, is that correct or is it an illusion ? Ghosty.

Hello ghosthunter, Jason and Mike,

I thought a bit more about my initial question after seeing Jason had the small one as well. I am thinking that may be a crack or gap developed in the tooling between the two tanks. Rather than fill with metal they milled a bit out and later milled out more. Hence the different size braces.

I have a few of this model but only the one with the tiny brace in my second pic and apart from the 11 x 45 with full brace all the others are smooth between tanks.

Funny how some models bring back fond memories. Can clearly remember the Christmas this one was opened and from that moment was struck by the casting detail and how neat they made it realistic, especially the open radiator version.

I would loved to have seen the tooling for this casting, some pretty fine detail in the moulds.