summary about my Vectis Regular Wheel auction in September

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
matchboxgrizzly

summary about my Vectis Regular Wheel auction in September

Post by matchboxgrizzly »

First sorry about the late feedback about the sale of my collection in September ! ...

But time is running and the next part of my collection - the Superfast collection - is now online at the Vectis homepage - check it out...!!!

I want to give you now a short personally feedback from my own point of view!

First one more time ,I was very pleased with catalogue pictures and the descriptions in the catalogue. I ordered a few hard cover catalogues for me and now have a superb real book in my hand for my personnal remembrance.

Overall the prices for a lot of the models seemed a little low to me in many cases - especially if you see the quality of the models and boxes. But on the other side there were also a lot of fantastic prices and so I'm all in all very pleased with the results of the auction. There were sometimes crazy good prices for some E boxes or other variations - you can check it out yourself - only one example is the 32 Leyland Tanker with BP decals for GBP 320 plus commission ....

If anyone from you was the happy winner of some of my models you should now have the models in your hand and I'm sure you are very pleased ( I only know about Greg from Cincinnati with my dark blue 44A Rolls Royce...) Please let me know your comments!

I also want to let you know that the money from Vectis has arrived at my account safely (LOL) .... I'm feeling like a winner of a lottery....!!!

You surely noticed that there were about 80 models unsold in the auction. Most the times the reason was my reserve or the too high estimates of Vectis. These models I still have back from Vectis and I do not sell them at Vectis one more time or at eBay. These models and about 100 more Regulars will be the new start for my "small" RW collection. I'm very happy about that because my cabinets are not full empty now!

In the future I will be a very relaxed collector and if I see something special it could be that I will buy it.... or not ...who knows....

Sometimes I had really problems with the descriptions - they were very picky - and I can say that because I've got some models back from Vectis ( I told you!)
Now I have the opportunity to compare the descriptions in the auction against my own standard. In some cases Vectis was right , but in many cases the faults were very minor or not visible ! Anyway ....

numi wrote:
Perhaps some furore is abound with Vectis mal-siding this auction but hopefully things would be corrected in the forthcoming SF auctions.
Just my take here: I would never had allowed Vectis or any other auction houses to remove my collection from their initial place of storage/premises esp after they had been photographed & catalogued.The initial risks alone were too high when they were being removed from the Grizzly premises to the Vectis premises and cannot understand why Vectis would further jeopardize this prized collection or perhaps im wrong about this esp if permission was granted.
Anything could have gone wrong during further handling,transit & display at the "outdoor" show.What if there was an accident with the transport vehicle or any fires? What if there was fire or damages,theft etc at the show due to any unforseen circumstances? Insurance does not help in situations like these.Vectis could have easily proposed virtuals of the Grizzly collection or by screening on large TV's at the show for the public to view without any handling or hitches similar to what Mr Ralph had done on Youtube.On the other hand i acknowledge that they needed exposure thru this canvass.

I would also never have allowed Vectis to string up my models with rubber bands irrespective if they are to be sold cos i am still the owner until paid-for and any or all attachments are still mine.
Rubber bands actually causes pin-heads (micro chips) and other blemishes to the paintwork and also damages the boxes.Dont talk about more handling and added wear to the (Grizzly) models & boxes condition after already being catalogued.I am sure that most of these displayed rare models & boxes to a certain degree did have added wear & added blemishes after this show-display but hope that im wrong for Grizzly's sake and the new owners.

I'm fully agree with you ,numi ! Vectis normally should ask me - or why not display a picture show of the models of the catalogue photos in high solution at the Toy fair ....????.....

Anyway.... Now it's time for you to let me know your comments

..... and if you are a Superfast collector ..... check out the listings at Vectis (hopefully a little "self-promotion" is allowed.....)

sorry for the bad "German" English and mistakes....!

collector greetings yours Ralph

once a collector always a collector
Brad Pittiful

Re: summary about my Vectis Regular Wheel auction in Septemb

Post by Brad Pittiful »

glad it went well for you Ralph!
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Ralph, glad it all worked out for you and your big collection. It is probably OK that not all your models were sold, leaving some for you to enjoy and the printed catalogue of the whole collection is a good idea and as you say, something to remind you of what you had enjoyed for many years.

Thanks for coming back to the forum and posting your views about the auction and for your information, I like your 'Bad German, English and Mistakes', it proves I am communicating to a fellow member on an international basis... :D

Best regards,
GHOSTHUNTER.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

A very clear account, thanks for the update and as Ghosty said, it's nice that you've retained some models. I must admit that the elastic bands did set my heart racing, I hope they don't start stacking the models on top of each other next time :shock:
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

Hello Ralph,

Many thanks for your review. I bought the catalogue. As I also have the hardcover catalogues (2) for horace Dunkley his 2 sales and John Moore his sale can you let me know how many hardcover catalogues were made for you.

Re the display at Sandown. I agree that Vectis should have asked. However I am quite sure it is ensurured.

I have been at Sandown many times and the displays at Vectis belong to the most impressive. They are ready before the dealers get in at 8.00 and all models are in glasscabinets.
Their stand atracts a lot of visitors and many people take photos (including myself) I have posted photos of your models there on this forum also. See;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2657&hilit=sandown

This is a very crowded swapmeet. If they just had the catalogues or a small Ipad with photos that would NOT work. The pr they make with taking a part of their collectors to be sold to this big and important swapmeet atracts a lot more bidders for the auctions and therefore the sellers get more money.

You have to be there to agree with me that their display is much more impressive the way they do it. I will be at Sandown november 15th again and I am quite sure they will have another impressive display of models there and this could also be your Superfast models unless you told them not to bring.
However the marketing for selling such a collection is very important and I would recommend they keep it the way they do. They are very proffesional and have handled toys in the last 25 years which have even more value.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
Ergomatic

Post by Ergomatic »

Your words are true: once a collector always a collector

Welcome back, Ralph!
matchbox_n_molars

Post by matchbox_n_molars »

I have a budget that I set for my Matchbox spending each year. I had roughly half of my limit left heading into your auction Ralph. It made if difficult for me because I knew I would not win each lot I bid on and I didn't know what the actual eventual winning bids would be.
In the end I won a total of seven lots, one of them being the 44a Rolls Royce you've mentioned. Sadly for me and GOOD for you my expenses put me well over my 2014 budget so I will be starting the new year in the hole! :( I'm not feeling too bad. I'm blessed with a very tolerant wife and collectively, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Six of the lots I won were for toys in the 1-75 range and one was a car carrier from the Major Pack range.
My assessment of condition with each of the items I received was very positive. In each case I was delighted with the condition. I saw no evidence of any damage that occurred from handling on the part of the Vectis people. I was highly impressed with how Vectis packaged the items for safe shipment into the US. In no case did I feel that Vectis painted a picture through their description that was inaccurate in any way.
I asked for a soft bound copy of the catalog from your auction and was delighted to receive that along with the toys as a reminder of just how exceptional your collection had been. I feel privileged to be the new steward for this select few pieces throughout the next chapter of their presence. Thank you Ralph for your updates in advance of the auction so that we each had time to assess what was available and participate as we were wanting and able. I'm very happy!
It is my good fortune to NOT be a Superfast collector. I don't have to worry about still more temptations! I'm quite sure you'll find a whole army of participants eager to offer new homes to your Superfast toys. Good luck!
Greg in Cincinnati