Odd 69c

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
SMS88

Re: Odd 69c

Post by SMS88 »

numi wrote:Sunfade on the folded roof canvas with clear signs of chalkiness and apparent cracking.
Paintwork could be the cause of sunfade or the owner was trying to eradicate tacky paint or simply just decided to have an unusual model by wiping with acetone,thinner,etc.
numi
well spotted and correct assessment of evidence :)
Lummox

Post by Lummox »

Now that I finally look at the large ebay pix, it is very cracked and chalky.
So the cnvt. top boot cover must be made of a different type of plastic than the interior. (?)
Otherwise the interior would have met the same fate I would think.
MoKo~LoCo
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have also decided to go with the 'Sunfade' brigade on this one, but the reason for the windscreen not suffering could be explained by the surplus amounts of glue to be seen around the body and on the lower part of the screen itself, it has been replaced, probably due to the original screen shriveling in size to warrant a change before the model came up for sale. I have pointed out the glue deposits in my pictures and the crackling effect of the badly Sunfaded hood. The interior is still very strong regards it's colour and must be moulded with more stabilized pigments of plastic pellets, as we know, not all colours fade at the same rate and this goes for colours in plastics as well, any 'Yesteryear' collector will confirm this...!

The strange post sticking up in front of the dashpanel on the left, has been disturbed from behind the dashpanel, another clue to the windscreen having been replaced.
69c-2.jpg
69c-2.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 190 times
69c-1.jpg
69c-1.jpg (22.98 KiB) Viewed 190 times
GHOSTHUNTER.