Rarest of the rarest, the 1963 UK display for Major Packs

Lesney Matchbox Accessory packs, Major packs, King-Size & Superkings
matchboxmarcel

Rarest of the rarest, the 1963 UK display for Major Packs

Post by matchboxmarcel »

Rarest of the rarest, the 1963 UK display for Major Packs and Accessory Pack.
I don't know of any other major collection in the world which hold this ultra rare UK 1963 display for Major Packs and the A2 Accessory Pack Car Transporter.
I took photos of this today in the very fine collection of a collectorfriend who lives nearby.
As featured in the july 1963 UK trade catalogue. (it is not featured in the january 1963 UK trade catalogue)

Exept the Pickfords transporter all models on the display are mint but it is the cardboard display which makes these some very rare views.

For 1963 it would have been even better if this place was for a red and grey Car Transporter.

The Tank on this transporter has the very rare grey rollers.

Wat a superb and lovely display to have !
I would be interested to ehar if any-one here has such a display.
This is all original and genuine.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Rarest of the rarest, the 1963 UK display for Major Pack

Post by Idris »

Absolutely stunning!
tjlglass

Post by tjlglass »

Wow never even seen one before.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

What a fantastic display with nice minty models. thanks for sharing the photos Marcel.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

That is indeed a thing of beauty :D
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Hello Marcel,

Absolutely love this Major Pack display, truly wonderful. Marcel thank you for posting the photos and please thank your collector friend for showing his collection.
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

Beautiful display & models Marcel, thanks for sharing.

Would I right in thinking this is cut from 1 piece of card and then folded into position with a rear support?
Trying to figure out how it was cut to enable the folds if so. Do you (or your kind friend) have a photo of it in a flat position?

I assume they were shipped out to dealers to be put together in the store or used at toy fairs to promote the range.
Would they have been available to collectors at the time or just trade?

This is made by Lesney (going by details in trade ad).
When did Bronner start making displays and did they take over making displays or did they work alongside Lesney with a focus on the US market.

I do have a photo of a Bronner trade stand but it doesn't feature your display, may be a later period judging by the models.
Fred Bronner.jpg
Fred Bronner.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
"What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever." ---Mary Jo Putney

Rodger
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

This display stand must be quite rare as it is not even shown in the "Matchbox" 1st Forty Years book, also not all of these models were issued in 1963 as shown.
But very nice display to be seen.

George T.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

George, I used the 1963 Matchbox catalogue to populate the display. Can you let me know which models does not belong to the display? i think I was right but I am looking forward to your opinion. The display was better with a red and grey transporter or a blue one with black wheels but the collector didn't have those models.

I like the 40th years book but I do know of at least 30-35 genuine pre 1970 displays which are not shown in that book !
Steve Barfield his 1963 Kingsize displays by example as shown here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2665

marcel

Rodger, I have that photo also. It is a USA tradefair photo and If I remember right from the 1968 Chicago trade fair. You can see some later giftsets on the right foreground of the picture. The see trough boxes of sets didn't came before 1966.

Fred Bronner had his own style of displays which already started in the 50ties. The style is completly different and more old fasionate..
The main part of the UK display is indeed made of one piece of cardboard. I have photos of the flat display, made after it arrived.
I considered uploading these also but I didn't as there are people who make replica's of these displays. (mainly one Australian guy who had asked for such photos to me in the past) So because of such people I will not post photos of the flat display and rearside unfortunatly.
I have a lot of old displays in my collection. Some were over 800 gbp for the cardboard alone. I do not like the fact some people are making replica displays and replica boxes. They often sell these on ebay or at swapmeets and earn a lot of money with this while for me it is even more difficult to buy a display online.
I hope you understand.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello Marcel, your showing of the models from the 1963 catalogue are correct sorry about that, but some models were issued long be for that, as far back as 1959, so by 1963 the model would have change not to a different model but a different variation of the same model, as they were issued for a number of years. Even back as far as 1959, so they just used old pictures for the 1963 catalogue. But then you are correct by using the 1963 catalogue.

George T.