Odd 69c

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

Odd 69c

Post by Idris »

What to make of this (photographs culled from Ebay listing)?
Attachments
69c-1.jpg
69c-1.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 611 times
69c-2.jpg
69c-2.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 611 times
69c-3.jpg
69c-3.jpg (55.39 KiB) Viewed 611 times
fixer

Re: Odd 69c

Post by fixer »

I was bidding on this and discussed it with Ghosty at Sandown (best let him explain the finer details), I think it's missed the base coat not sure about the hood don't think it's a sunfade as the interior is good
reg
Lummox

Post by Lummox »

Almost looks as if it got it's silver base coat, and just got an extremely thin layer of the top candy coat.
Hard to tell. Might just be candy blue and that's it, but the base looks the same way. Very thin layer of top coat.
And what's up with the white boot???? Possible pre-production?
MoKo~LoCo
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Saw this one myself and it looks home made to me, the area above the tow hitch under the bumper is the standard colour/paint, sunroof could be from another model. Nice for display though.
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

This looks like sunfade to me - something like 5 years living on a south facing window ledge will do this
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

I'm with SMS88 on this one. My dads one went exactly like this after sitting on a window ledge for years here in New Zealand.
Sun fade.

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi
motorman

Post by motorman »

SMS88 wrote:This looks like sunfade to me - something like 5 years living on a south facing window ledge will do this
Could be, but then why has the windscreen or the interior not suffered the same fate, both shows no obvious signs of sun damage?
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

motorman wrote:
SMS88 wrote:This looks like sunfade to me - something like 5 years living on a south facing window ledge will do this
Could be, but then why has the windscreen or the interior not suffered the same fate, both shows no obvious signs of sun damage?
It depends upon the colour and the materials - that dark red is much more resiliant in sunlight than candy coat paint. Also remember that both seats and windows are clear plastic that has been coloured all the way through - the paint is much much thinner than the plastic
motorman

Post by motorman »

SMS88 wrote:
motorman wrote:
It depends upon the colour and the materials - that dark red is much more resiliant in sunlight than candy coat paint. Also remember that both seats and windows are clear plastic that has been coloured all the way through - the paint is much much thinner than the plastic
Thanks Mick but I would still expect to see some sun effect on the glazing considering the amount of fading to the rest of the bodywork suggest a long exposure to sunlight over a long period of time.

It has been mentioned on previous discussions on the forum that glazing as well as bodywork can be discolored from continual exposure to sunlight.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
numi

Post by numi »

Sunfade on the folded roof canvas with clear signs of chalkiness and apparent cracking.
Paintwork could be the cause of sunfade or the owner was trying to eradicate tacky paint or simply just decided to have an unusual model by wiping with acetone,thinner,etc.
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.