Show Us Your Unusual Window Variants!

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Lummox

Show Us Your Unusual Window Variants!

Post by Lummox »

Probably some extra green bodies laying around that got amber windows normally found on the next lime release.
It got a pink base too, but maybe that's not so unusual.
Found it in an online lot with a bunch of other scratchy, high mileage models.
And while on the subject of unusual #45 Group 6's, this unusual one got the sticker from the Volks Dragon.
#45 sure is a fun one. Over 50 variations to hunt down/drive you batty!
Along the same lines as the amber glazed #45, this #12 Setra somehow got clear windows normally destined for the following gold issue.
(sorry I can't do pix as attachments as the pix come out humungous)

Show what you have found from your strange glaze department!
Dave
MoKo~LoCo
SMS88

Re: Show Us Your Unusual Window Variants!

Post by SMS88 »

Lummox wrote: Along the same lines as the amber glazed #45, this #12 Setra somehow got clear windows normally destined for the following gold issue.
(sorry I can't do pix as attachments as the pix come out humungous)

Dave
These are easy to make ie fake today - many people have taken a common yellow and swapped over the green tinted glazing from one of these metallic plum ones in order to create 1 genuine rare variation and 1 most likely fake variation from 2 common models worth next to nothing. I suggest Dave gets out a magnfiying glass -if there are any pressure marks on the white plastic mesh of either rear white grille then the interior has been swapped
Lummox

Re: Show Us Your Unusual Window Variants!...or not...

Post by Lummox »

Hey Mick,
I have read that in Nick's guide.

Got it from Alex, the same fellow who sold me that bitchin' rare Binz.
It was only 5 bucks so maybe he had his doubts. Or maybe he said it was a possible fake and I forgot.
There was a lot going on during our long and pleasant dealings that day, and I've sniffed enough bondo fumes in the last 36 years to kill a draft horse.
Or maybe I was born with a bad memory...I forgot.

But now that I look closer, one of the rear white mesh areas does have a slight indentation.

Thanks for the alert my friend, I guess this is one for the parts department!
MoKo~LoCo
SMS88

Re: Show Us Your Unusual Window Variants!...or not...

Post by SMS88 »

Lummox wrote:Hey Mick,
I have read that in Nick's guide.

Got it from Alex, the same fellow who sold me that bitchin' rare Binz.
It was only 5 bucks so maybe he had his doubts. Or maybe he said it was a possible fake and I forgot.
There was a lot going on during our long and pleasant dealings that day, and I've sniffed enough bondo fumes in the last 36 years to kill a draft horse.
Or maybe I was born with a bad memory...I forgot.

But now that I look closer, one of the rear white mesh areas does have a slight indentation.

Thanks for the alert my friend, I guess this is one for the parts department!
its too good for the parts dept, why not just enjoy it as different,but stick a paper label on the base ´´fake´´ so that nobody will ever confuse it as genuine and anyone who comes to see your collection will be sure you know your onions!
Lummox

Re: Show Us Your Fake Window Variants!

Post by Lummox »

Might do just that.

In taking this one apart, I can see how easily this swap could be done without making any marks what-so-ever.
And in reading the Variation guide I see none have been found blistered.

So this example is probably just the remnants of someone making a "desirable" lemon Setra with green windows.
It's a cold, cruel world out there!

LMX
MoKo~LoCo
SMS88

Re: Show Us Your Fake Window Variants!

Post by SMS88 »

Lummox wrote:Might do just that.

In taking this one apart, I can see how easily this swap could be done without making any marks what-so-ever.
And in reading the Variation guide I see none have been found blistered.

So this example is probably just the remnants of someone making a "desirable" lemon Setra with green windows.
It's a cold, cruel world out there!

LMX
No need to take it apart, breaking the plastic around the front rivit stops it being restored to as new condition - the plastic is flexible enough to hinge when the rear grilles are pushed in.........
Lummox

Re: Show Us Your Underalls

Post by Lummox »

Right. I didn't take ALL the way apart, I did exactly as you said above.
MoKo~LoCo