59a Ford Thames Van

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

59a Ford Thames Van

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (first edition) has one unlisted variation: 59-1b features 9 x 20 GPW, front and rear trim and r/a. This would slot in ahead of Nick's current code 9 which is identical apart front only having front trim. A note comments that the decals occur in both red and maroon shades.
The AIM “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) states that early models have a light red door decal whilst later issues have a dark red one. The variation listing reflects this with the changeover occurring during production of the equivalent of Nick's current variation codes 9 and 10 which can be found carrying either version.
Neither Houghton nor Stannard contain any unlisted variations, and U.K. Matchbox did not cover the model.
kerbside

Re: 59a

Post by kerbside »

Hello Hugh, were does my one fit in? My code 1 (one) on Nicks listing is all the same but he lists it as Silver Trim on the front and back, but my one
only has Silver Trim to the Front :?

George T.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I would suggest regarding it as an early body which was trimmed later on. The most obvious place to slot it in would be at the start of the front trim only models (i.e. as the new code 9). However, chronologically speaking, it probably represents stockroom clearance and should therefore down the bottom of the table, perhaps even below the kelly green issues.
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Yes but the trouble is it has no cast guide lines on the front doors. ;) ;)

George T.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

kerbside wrote:Yes but the trouble is it has no cast guide lines on the front doors.
Hence "stockroom clearance". My guess is that it represents an older body casting which was found in the stockroom when the model was being phased out and so was finished in accordance with the later trim specification. (Of course, it might also be an error piece!)