Toy fair news

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
misterpop

Re: Toy fair news

Post by misterpop »

I notice a few say copper axles.When you say copper...Do you mean welding rod?..
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

misterpop wrote:I notice a few say copper axles.When you say copper...Do you mean welding rod?..
That's a good question Ian, have not done any welding for quite some time, but from memory, 'Welding-Rod' is of a smaller diameter than the axles on 'Yesteryears' and these axles are in fact only copper in colour, not solid copper right through, so for some un-explained reason, Lesney have had to use steel rod with a 'Copper' finish to it instead of the normal silver-grey finish of mild steel, mostly seen on the models.

The model shown below has the distinctive 'Copper' axles, but if you look at the axle-end, you will see the mild steel base metal showing through.

I find these versions very unusual and add another dimension to collecting these models.
COPPER AXLES, 1978-79 ISSUE.jpg
COPPER AXLES, 1978-79 ISSUE.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 574 times
GHOSTHUNTER.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Dont forget there are different thicknesses of rod..Maybe there was a shortage of steel stock so they bought in from another supplier for a time.....
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Copper axles turn up on models across quite a wide timespan. Models from the '74 Woodgrain box re-launch well into the later Straw box models.
Bob
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

misterpop wrote:Dont forget there are different thicknesses of rod..Maybe there was a shortage of steel stock so they bought in from another supplier for a time.....
Yes very often the case at Lesney, we tend to forget that while everything was more or less manufactured 'In-House' by Lesney, they relied on many suppliers for their raw materials and would normally have at least two suppliers for the same item, although I believe they had three paint suppliers for a number of years.

Ghosty.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

YYS4BOB wrote:Copper axles turn up on models across quite a wide timespan. Models from the '74 Woodgrain box re-launch well into the later Straw box models.
Just need to clarify '74 Woodgrain'.

Somebody may go away and see that his 'Woodgrain' boxes actually say '1973' but the range was not re-launched until late-74, hence Bob's term of '74 Woodgrain', as that is the accepted date by collectors, so please don't come on here saying "YYS4BOB" has his date wrong, he doesn't, OK!

Ghosty.
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

I don't need a bodyguard with you in my corner do I Kevin. :lol:
Bob
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

YYS4BOB wrote:I don't need a bodyguard with you in my corner do I Kevin. :lol:
No probs Bob, any trouble, just give me the nod and I'll SORT IT.

Ghosty.
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Copper plated axles can almost always be found on models that did not need to have the axle ends riveted such as the 75a Thunderbird and the 27c Cadillac rear axles, For what reason I don't know but if anyone can enlighten me then please do.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Interesting comment Nick. Made me look at the only YY where this would apply, and lo and behold, copper axles.

Bob