12c Safari Land Rover in blue

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
SMS88

Re: SF 12c Safarui landrover in blue

Post by SMS88 »

These 3 genuine examples belonged to a reputable collector with an impressive selection of lunchbox specials back in 2006 when I saved these photos - sadly I cannot recall his name but the forum thread they were on and discussion of the blue paint shade formed the backbone of what is now Nick´s SF12 listing. There are 2 shades of blue used on the RW12 but genuine blue SF12 seem to all be the brighter shade which either has a white or paler blue primer under the candy blue
The silver shown below is clearly so thin that the mazak shows through which is entirely consistent with this being a Lesney primed body that missed the gold candycoat
Attachments
HPIM5439.jpg
HPIM5439.jpg (139.47 KiB) Viewed 584 times
HPIM5440.jpg
HPIM5440.jpg (124.77 KiB) Viewed 584 times
HPIM5383.jpg
HPIM5383.jpg (443.1 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote:This topic is currently in the RW area in the hope that RW experts will be encouraged to comment. In due course it will be transferred to the SF area.
Excellent work!

Now, all we need to do is change the spelling of Safari to "Safarui" in the the online web sites, printed guides and and label/tags on our models. :lol: :twisted: :o
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Tinman wrote:Excellent work!

Now, all we need to do is change the spelling of Safari to "Safarui" in the the online web sites, printed guides and and label/tags on our models. :lol: :twisted: :o
Yes, I noticed that after I'd hit the return button. I can't change it, but perhaps Mick can since he 'owns' the first post. If not, I'll move all the posts to a completely new thread (with the correct spelling) when I transfer the topic to the RW area.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

My only comment on the three 'rares' pictured here is the fact that they are from an unnamed source with 'lunchbox Specials'??? Talk about kwakers and Edward Snowden. I think I know the collector's name, and I see your point Mick.
The Blue Rover in blister and out both look legit. Idris' comment that the blisters can easily be faked bothers me a bit because the paper under the glue tears so easily, I can't imagine removing the plastic cover without damage to that outermost layer of paper. Nice examples of some rare models here. kwakers
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

kwakers wrote:My only comment on the three 'rares' pictured here is the fact that they are from an unnamed source with 'lunchbox Specials'??? Talk about kwakers and Edward Snowden. I think I know the collector's name, and I see your point Mick.
The Blue Rover in blister and out both look legit. Idris' comment that the blisters can easily be faked bothers me a bit because the paper under the glue tears so easily, I can't imagine removing the plastic cover without damage to that outermost layer of paper. Nice examples of some rare models here. kwakers
I dont know what sort of glue Lesney used, however with modern Hotwheels blister packs a glue which uses an acetone base is used - in order to open (and then very quickly reseal) these modern blisters, acetone needs to soak through from the back of the card. As a security device there is a dot matrix pattern in the glue so opening and resealing can be spotted easily unless the bubble is placed back precisely on the exactly spots it came off before it has time to dry.
The paper on Lesney cards that I own seems to be a very thin easily torn layer on top of cardboard so if the correct solvent is known for the glue they can be opened and resealed BUT i would expect some sagging of the thin paper from the card - I have some opened 1972 blister cards to study plus about 30 1969-71 blisters factory sealed.
That silver SF12 shown here looks very authentic to me - not an easy finish or grain to replicate with a modern rattle can but with all the other cars like RW RED #15 VW belonging to the same collector it would be plain silly not to discuss this possibilty here of lunchbox specials.
godsey1

Post by godsey1 »

I work for Dana Corp, and we sell on and off highway parts from cars and trucks to construction equipment. We have a blister pack machine that does not use glue per-say, but heat. You load the blister into the machine, the next person loads the part/s in and the next one puts the back on. The cards (3 at a time) travel under a hot press where the press comes down and press' the card to the blister and heat seals it.

I have stood over at the machine and had to reopen a lot of the these for various reasons, and I have never been able to open one without damaging the cardboard backing (unless the machine didn't seal it good), (I have never tried to do it with chemicals).

This machine is very old, and we just retired it last year, as it is cheaper to put the part's into boxes. I may have to buy a new blister packed Matchbox and see if it looks like ours did.

Tony
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

SMS88 wrote: I dont know what sort of glue Lesney used,
I've had much trouble keeping the vintage cards and the plastic bubble in tact. Many of them have poped off or come partially loose simply while handling the card. They are indeed pretty easy to open and close.

SMS88 wrote: That silver SF12 shown here looks very authentic to me - not an easy finish or grain to replicate with a modern rattle can but with all the other cars like RW RED #15 VW belonging to the same collector it would be plain silly not to discuss this possibilty here of lunchbox specials.
Anyone really wanting to produce a decent model is using custom mixed paints and an airbrush.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

here is mine...and i swapped a base from a beater gold SF to this beater RW...and i didnt even have to heat up the base

Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

I was going to make a wise-butt comment on which ugly 1973 Superfast in blister I should experiment on, but I have to somehow be a civil Yank in my 'Superfast Post' Yikes!.
The silver Rover also looks as good as any Mick, but by not mentioning it in my Post I may have given the wrong impression that I did not like it as well. It does look O.K.
You mention the red 15 RW Beetle Mick, and one is even pictured in Fred Bronner's pocket catalog without being able to see the wheels in a 1969 or 1970 Garage scene. I believe the white Beetle is on the lift while the red one is right behind it making the wheels impossible to see. That makes the red version either an early color trial on a Superfast body, or a late regular wheel color trial in preparation for the release of the Superfast version. If Bronner pictured it, it may not be a 'Lunchbox Special' at all, just another unique model sent to Bronner as a 'New Release' to photo, and scooped up by one of the sharp New York Collector friends who had known him for years. Possibly it may have even stayed with that Bronner photographer you mentioned 2 years ago who let his kid play with some of them without knowing any better.
The term 'Lunch Box Special' bothers me in particular Mick because I know that Lesney was purposely changing interior colors, base colors, window colors, paint shades AND colors, as well as plastic color/ chrome trim, and labels on Superfasts after the short Transitional period. A small shipment could come in of a new model with perhaps 3 variations of it packed in the same carton! This made for thousands of different variations that were intentionally done for collectors, not just for the kids that had bought 'Hot Wheels' early on. Spending a lot of money every week to try and keep up with the latest Superfasts was no fun at all for me, but we still enjoyed the road trips to also clean out any old Regular Wheel stock we could find in the early 70s. kwakers
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:This topic is currently in the RW area in the hope that RW experts will be encouraged to comment. In due course it will be transferred to the SF area.
Now in the SF area (with the typo in the topic title corrected too!).