59c Ford Galaxie Fire Chief's Car

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

59c Ford Galaxie Fire Chief's Car

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (first edition) has two unlisted variations, one at 59-3c and one at 59-3f. Both have bonnet label, door label and a '59' baseplate, the only difference being in the bonnet label colour. (One is reported as dark red whilst the other is light red).
The AIM “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) lists the same variation as 59-3c, although no distinction regarding label colour is made.
Houghton has the same variation as 59c-8 (once again without commenting on label colour), and also has variation 59c-4 consisting of bonnet decal, door label and '55/59' baseplate.
Stannard's code 59c(3)-5 is also bonnet label, door label, 'and '59' baseplate.
U.K. Matchbox did not cover the model.

Looking at Nick's table, variation codes 5 and 8 appear to be identical, and I would suggest that one of these should be the missing label/label/59 variation. That still leaves Houghton's code 59c-4 which would slot in as a new code 3.
nickjones
Site Admin

Re: 59c

Post by nickjones »

Hi Hugh.
I think the mistake in my listing was the code 5, I altered the bonnet label to bonnet decal so it now matches Houghtons.
I think I might be missing something here but isnt the missing label / label / 59 variation my code 9 ?.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
Idris
Site Admin

Re: 59c

Post by Idris »

Yes it is! (It had fallen off the bottom of the trimmed screen print I was using - oops!)
Following those two clarifications, I think this means that Nick's listing now covers all variations catalogued elsewhere.