pre production mack dump

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
SMS88

Re: pre production mack dump

Post by SMS88 »

Well done everybody enjoying those fine superduper sized photos while i worked, just seen those baseplate shots,big enough not to doubt its homemade :ugeek:
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I am please to be able to report that Michael has done the decent thing and that the listing text now reads as follows:
"THIS MODEL IS PART OF A VERY INTERESTING AND RARE COLLECTION RECENTLY ACQUIRED FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM - I WILL BE LISTING A VERY LARGE AMOUNT OF THESE MATCHBOX LESNEY (INCLUDING SUPERFAST AND SOME OTHER RARE DIECAST CARS FROM HOLLAND AND GERMANY).............SO, HERE WE GO:
1968 MATCHBOX LESNEY MACK DUMP TRUCK NO. 28 - APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN REPAINTED IN BLUE....
NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE ON WHETHER THIS IS A PRE PRODUCTION/PRE COLOUR TRIAL MODEL, THUS, IT IS BEING AUCTIONED OFF AS A RE-PAINTED MODEL......
VERY NICE MODEL - CERTAINLY IS "DIFFERENT" - WILL DISPLAY NICELY
SEE PICTURES FOR CONDITION......."
motorman

Post by motorman »

Not the best introduction to the Forum by a new member that i have seen!!

Hopefully this was a genuine error of judgement on Michaels part and relisting the model is a step in the right direction. That said i just wish he had the conviction to say "THIS IS A REPAINT!!" and take the phrase "pre pro" completely out of the listing description as it still is slightly ambiguous in it's interpretation when read.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Martin Avis

Post by Martin Avis »

It is right and proper that Michael has changed the listing, but to be fair to him Mick's first couple of posts were seeming to declare this as a genuine item.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Martin Avis wrote:It is right and proper that Michael has changed the listing, but to be fair to him Mick's first couple of posts were seeming to declare this as a genuine item.
None of Micks posts professed this as a genuine item Martin. Certainly Micks comments are open to interpretation but at no time did he state this was the real deal.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
michaeld1.401

Re: pre production ford zephyr 6

Post by michaeld1.401 »

I have a ford zephyr 6 painted in gloss black, gloss baseplate, siver metal wheels (which are supposed to be the first issue, I believe) with "POLICE" decals on both doors.....has anyone seen this????.....Is this a prepro?????

I'll send pictures tomorrow..

Thanks to all!!

Michael
Tinman

Re: pre production ford zephyr 6

Post by Tinman »

michaeld1.401 wrote:I have a ford zephyr 6 painted in gloss black, gloss baseplate, siver metal wheels (which are supposed to be the first issue, I believe) with "POLICE" decals on both doors.....has anyone seen this????.....Is this a prepro?????

I'll send pictures tomorrow..

Thanks to all!!

Michael
You can put the photo of that model in the Customs & Restorations forum. It's NOT a preproduction and it's not a color trial. It is a repainted model.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

motorman wrote:
Martin Avis wrote:It is right and proper that Michael has changed the listing, but to be fair to him Mick's first couple of posts were seeming to declare this as a genuine item.
None of Micks posts professed this as a genuine item Martin. Certainly Micks comments are open to interpretation but at no time did he state this was the real deal.
However, they would certainly steer a "hopeful person" towards the conclusion that it was real.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I think mistakes were made on both sides.
I have the impression that Michael may be a bit out of his depth here (no offence intended, Michael) but, credit where credit is due, he has made extremely significant changes to the listing, including to the starting price, and I think he understands that he now needs to tread carefully with these oddball models in order to avoid making similar mistakes in the future.
For our part, the initial posts were very positive (and I'm as guilty as anyone), perhaps giving a false impression of approval, but then the tone changed sharply, at times becoming almost agressive.

Let's give Michael the benefit of the doubt on the grounds that i) he has done the right thing, and ii) at no time did he bite back (as I feared he might), in the hope that he will continue to ask Forum members to assess the other models he has up his sleeve, and that we can, in turn, teach him what to look for.
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

Hear hear Hugh!! ;)