matchbox pre production model

A place to show your latest finds
michaeld1.401

matchbox pre production model

Post by michaeld1.401 »

I have what I believe to be a Pre Production Mack Dump Truck No. 28 in blue with the original box....any idea how many exist and what the value may be???

Thanks!!
Attachments
DSCF6754[1].JPG
DSCF6754[1].JPG (5.49 MiB) Viewed 691 times
Last edited by michaeld1.401 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjlglass

Re: matchbox pre production model

Post by tjlglass »

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. If you could post a picture it would be more helpfull.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

It certainly sounds like a preproduction. (I have one myself in this colour.)
The problem is that, by the time this was made, the company was on its knees and the factory leaked models like they were going out of fashion. As a result, a significant number of these later pre-productions made it into collectors' circles thereby depressing the price. Even so, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's UK-made and so that helps keep the value up. In addition, it's a model of an American "big rig" which (I assume) also enhances its value since it will appeal to US collectors.
As to value, certainly into three figures. I would guess somewhere around the £150 mark (assuming its mint).
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Idris wrote:It certainly sounds like a preproduction. (I have one myself in this colour.)
The problem is that, by the time this was made, the company was on its knees and the factory leaked models like they were going out of fashion. As a result, a significant number of these later pre-productions made it into collectors' circles thereby depressing the price. Even so, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's UK-made and so that helps keep the value up. In addition, it's a model of an American "big rig" which (I assume) also enhances its value since it will appeal to US collectors.
As to value, certainly into three figures. I would guess somewhere around the £150 mark (assuming its mint).
Only £150 rather than £3-500 for a mid 1968 colour trial that exists today in most likely dozens rather than hundreds??? Worth less than a green 27c? I would expect a mint one to fetch more,its as rare if not as famous as a reverse 13d
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

SMS88 wrote:
Idris wrote:It certainly sounds like a preproduction. (I have one myself in this colour.)
Only £150 rather than £3-500 for a mid 1968 colour trial that exists today in most likely dozens rather than hundreds??? Worth less than a green 27c? I would expect a mint one to fetch more,its as rare if not as famous as a reverse 13d
II think you can tell from what I wrote that I'm assuming that this is one of the American "big rig" SF dumpers. If it's another example of the RW 28d in blue (and genuine), then that's another matter entirely.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I have indeed got my wires crossed. I was thinking of the SF Peterbilt, but, re-reading the first post, i see that it clearly states no. 28. (I must learn to read!)
If it is a genuine blue RW 28d Mack dump truck then yes, it is a pre-production and, yes, it is very rare (I know of only three) and should command a good price, condition dependent but probably around £350 - £400 at the bottom end for a playworn example.
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

Please let us see some photos, I have never seen this model.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

Overpriced??? no I dont belive it :-)

The model looks very interesting :shock: Please show us some pictures Michael
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Michael, welcome to the forum and your first enquiry certainly is interesting, but where has the picture gone that you already posted and that two forum members commented-on, I can not find it any more, have you deleted the post for some reason...

...please re-post the picture here, thanks.

GHOSTHUNTER.