New variation SF19 F1 Lotus

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
SMS88

Re: New variation SF19 F1 Lotus

Post by SMS88 »

Idris wrote:[quote="SMS88]No first hand facts actually idris !
"...makes it most likely a souvenir of a business trip to the UK by a Dane..." is a statement which does not (and never will) meet the dictionary definition of the English word "fact".[/quote][/quote]

´´most likely´´ always has and still does mean ´´with a probability greater than 50%´´ - the other points i raised are the facts!
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

SMS88 wrote:´´most likely´´ always has and still does mean ´´with a probability greater than 50%´´
Then there is no basis here whatsoever for using the term "...most likely.." since it is nothing other than pure supposition on your part.

Putting that discussion to one side, i do like your idea of the Yum Yum 19d being a launch promotion for an aborted product rather than an aborted promotion for an unknown product. It explains very neatly why no one here is able to link the car to an early 1970s product or company and why the Internet fails to yiled any convincing hits.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

If this lot of 4 cars sold in the UK wasnt won by anyone here then we should wait and see when they resurface and where more show up from. Perhaps we will see them on ebay or vectis soon, then we will discover a more realistic value for this unusual colour on a short life casting.
Whatever means by which mine got to Denmark nobody we know can prove or disprove however the dozen made in France circa 1970 Le Mans ´´Champions´´ that were part of the same collection are htf and usually cost at least £20 each when they do turn up so the YUM YUM Lotus wasnt the only gem in the period collection. Circa 1971 Denmark wasnt a typical holiday destination for Brits and UK wasnt a typical choice for Danes and a promo item like this isnt something likely to turn up anywhere tourists would go. Corporate gifts on the other hand cross borders all the time and what proud father doesnt need an extra gift for the kids at home! Very few edible products went from pre EU membership UK to Denmark in the 1971-72 (except for Mars bars as far as I can determine) with only butter and bacon (+ post EU - Haribo sweets) going the other way.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Found this website on the net that has been in business since 1959, and looking around the site I see they have had many product launches and there must be a time when you run out of ideas for launching a new product and maybe, just maybe they used a Lesney model as part of a product launch in the early to mid-70's.

Another interesting part of the site was their launch photo gallery towards the top right of the page, click on this and enjoy some period pictures, but lookout for some of their product packaging using a similar colour design of red 'Yum Yum' on a yellow background, but even more interesting, the use of free gifts on other packaging and by studying the earlier pictures the product seems to have been aimed at children and children would surely enjoy getting a free gift of a model race car!!

Here is the link...http://www.yum-yum.com/Our+story

Ghosty.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I think the absence of a logo from the models is a clear indication that we are looking t a product-related rather than a company-related promotional, the logic being that companies tend to use logos for identification and rapid recognition by the public, but products have to have names in order to be asked for and promoted.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Very odd - a trademark search doesn't give any leads either, not even a dead trademark.
Curiouser and curiouser!
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Perhaps if it was an aborted product, it didn't reach the stage of obtaining a trademark. There is a YUM-YUM registered around 1977 by Hershey for bubble gum, but I couldn't see much else.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

You would think that if "they" (whoever "they might be") had got as far as having (sample?) promotional items produced bearing what was presumably to be the product's name in the correct font and colour, that trademark protection would already have been taken care of since other artwork, such as packaging and advertising, would also have been in an advanced stage of preparation..
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Idris wrote:You would think that if "they" (whoever "they might be") had got as far as having (sample?) promotional items produced bearing what was presumably to be the product's name in the correct font and colour, that trademark protection would already have been taken care of since other artwork, such as packaging and advertising, would also have been in an advanced stage of preparation..
You would think so, but it's not necessarily the case. I've worked in certain areas where product branding, logos, mock-ups, storyboards, prototypes and general advertising, etc has progressed at different stages completlely (not the best way to proceed, I know). I've also seen proposed launches, including sample products, adverts and artwork pulled by boards before any legalities are entered into.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

johnboy wrote:You would think so, but it's not necessarily the case. I've worked in certain areas where product branding, logos, mock-ups, storyboards, prototypes and general advertising, etc has progressed at different stages completlely (not the best way to proceed, I know). I've also seen proposed launches, including sample products, adverts and artwork pulled by boards before any legalities are entered into.
Strikes me as being a bit of a white-knuckle ride, but I bow to your obviously superior knowledge.
Since trademark registration look like a dead duck, has anyone else got any ideas how we might crack this conundrum?