New in the collection

A place to show your latest finds
SMS88

Re: New in the collection

Post by SMS88 »

Interesting promo model, i wonder if the ribbed design tipper back was actually aluminium rather than the traditional steel??
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

SMS88 wrote:Interesting promo model, i wonder if the ribbed design tipper back was actually aluminium rather than the traditional steel??
I doubt it. Not only would the use of a non-standard material cause problems for the factory, my guess is that the coefficients of linear expansion for aluminium and mazak/zamak are are so different that the tipper back would not fit the chassis properly.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Idris wrote:
SMS88 wrote:Interesting promo model, i wonder if the ribbed design tipper back was actually aluminium rather than the traditional steel??
I doubt it. Not only would the use of a non-standard material cause problems for the factory, my guess is that the coefficients of linear expansion for aluminium and mazak/zamak are are so different that the tipper back would not fit the chassis properly.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I have always liked tippers but have no memories of any real 1:1s with obviously ali tippers however I dont recall this ribbed design in 1:1 either
tjlglass

Post by tjlglass »

Wow nice model Chris.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

SMS88 wrote:I have always liked tippers but have no memories of any real 1:1s with obviously ali tippers however I dont recall this ribbed design in 1:1 either
See the first photograph in this thread.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

The structural design and riveting on this dump body tend to make me think the one pictured is an aluminum dump unit. We had experimental aluminum rock bodies done on Mack Trucks back in the 1930s, but they were cast in large pieces rather than the small riveted ribbed panels shown on the restored unit pictured. Such frequent ribbing as on this one would not be necessary on a steel body, and any steel panels would have been welded rather than riveted together as on this one.
The Alcan promotional model makes perfect sense if the dump body was aluminum, but aluminum frame rails, truck cabs, and many assorted parts have also been used since the 1950s on heavy trucks. The use of these aluminum components could also be a reason to issue such advertising for other possible Alcan products. Many could have been used on these Dumpers to reduce weight as the axle laws changed in the 1950s and the 60s to favor multi axled lighter units. kwakers