Thought I'd post some new ones

A place to show your latest finds
hydra427

Thought I'd post some new ones

Post by hydra427 »

Here are a few new additions. I replaced the cellophane on both the K-4 & K-16. I am putting together a photo montage of how I do it and will post it soon in the restoration forum.

Here is one I picked up mainly for the box. I plan on keeping the model as well but needed the box as an upgrade.

Finally a M3 Thornycroft, nice box on this one, now just need to find the picture box variation.

Another A2 Transporter. This one will be for sale in the near future. Bought it mainly to upgrade another box as well.

No box on the beautiful #25 Volkswagen but was lucky to find one with "Volkswagon" spelled wrong.

Able to locate another K8 Prime Mover with silver wheels & rollers to go with my red wheeled K8
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for looking, John
"For everyone you pass up, your always one behind"
kwakers

Re: Thought I'd post some new ones

Post by kwakers »

Very nice models hydra, Thanks for sharing them with us. Because I am a Fuss over Regular Wheels, the Volkswagon, LOL is my favorite of course. Could you Please lift the motor lid and check for a black painted motor on yours. These black motors were discussed on the old LeFora Forum, and only one of my three mis-spelled bases features that treatment. Antonin has verified another black motor he has, but his base may not mis-spelled if I remember correctly. Can you imagine Lesney's reaction when someone pointed out their model design department had this trouble with a well known brand name on such a finely detailed and researched casting. kwakers :?
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

kwakers wrote:Very nice models hydra, Thanks for sharing them with us. Because I am a Fuss over Regular Wheels, the Volkswagon, LOL is my favorite of course. Could you Please lift the motor lid and check for a black painted motor on yours. These black motors were discussed on the old LeFora Forum, and only one of my three mis-spelled bases features that treatment. Antonin has verified another black motor he has, but his base may not mis-spelled if I remember correctly. Can you imagine Lesney's reaction when someone pointed out their model design department had this trouble with a well known brand name on such a finely detailed and researched casting. kwakers :?
Dick, my mis-spelt "Volkswagon" has a black painted engine, but none of my examples with the correct spelling have a black engine. You've enlightened me - I had noticed before, but do not recall it ever being discussed on befora. I thought it might be an error or curiousity as it is not listed in any guide.

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

Both Antonin and I noted our single models with black motors, yours is now only the third to be noted from that discussion. Much was questioned about the intent versus 'Overspray' from the base on this little-known gem you have. As you can see from yours, the black paint is quite intentional, and an accurate depiction of the all black air shroud and air ducting on the full size VW's air cooled motor. I have worked on these motors for 45 years now since my Hippie Van days, so I still know them well.
As with many Lefora lost discussions, we were to wait until the #25 was being updated to add even a notation about these short-lived black detailed motored variations. I had discovered mine while discussing the red tailights that Nick has noted as never owning or seeing if I remember his variation table wording correctly. IF, and time has made this a BIG IF, I remember correctly, these black motors may not have been first production. I say this out of memory because I believe, but am not totally sure that Antonin's example had a properly spelled base on it. That would mean the black motor was a mid-production experiment that appeared when the corrected base was being introduced. Antonin will surely give us his model's details here and straighten me out if I am incorrect on it........kwakers
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Thanks Dick,
Yes, mine looks to have been deliberately painted and not merely "overspray" - I think if that was the case, we'd see other models of this period with clear overspray on the inside of bases, and I can't think of any examples like this that I have. If you are right about Antonin's one having the corrected base, then it would surely also have other early features, in particular the clear windows which I think are not common.

Back on theme, Hydra has posted some very nice pictures of awesome models!

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
hydra427

Post by hydra427 »

Kwakers, mine is silver. Now I need to start looking for a painted engine!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for looking, John
"For everyone you pass up, your always one behind"
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

What a great line-up of models. I like the Kingsize boxes and that's a neat job replacing the cellophane.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
ford_a_30

Post by ford_a_30 »

My misspelled one is silver as well. It would be very interesting to find a properly spelt black engine.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have saved the old 'Lefora' thread about some members contribution to the VW Beetle black engine information. I have added just a few notes of mine in RED to mention that a link does not work etc, but largely they are as originally posted.

I have saved the attachments and added these to their respective posts.

The images are large so just 'LEFT-CLICK' on the image and it will display fully.

Appologies to any forum members if you see information in the posts that you had forgotten or did not want to see again, but the information contained within is interesting to new members, so has to be included.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Last edited by GHOSTHUNTER on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Black engine VW Beetle.

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Opening post.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (127.81 KiB) Viewed 1102 times