Toy fair news

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
fixer

Re: Toy fair news

Post by fixer »

Think you made the right decision not to go to Yeldham Nick , not much diecast I only found a few bits most interesting being a dinky #37 motor bike for a couple of quid
reg
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Great ashtray Nick!

I love that you went to a boot sale and bought a car and went to a car sale and bought a boat.
Okay, okay....a boat hat.... But still.....
Boot car
Car boat

On a more Lesney note, I had no idea Lesney employed that many people in the mid to late 60's. No wonder they won the Queens Award for Export!

Happy hunting!
Kurt
Happy hunting!
Kurt
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

I was also amazed at those figures on Lesney employment Kurt. We Yanks just knew these models as little toy cars that we played with as children. The fact that we never grew away from them, and have played with toys through our entire life just means some of us never left our childhood. With that many ex-employees available, no wonder specials are still being found 50 years after they were done in the factory prototype shop. Get those ex-workers to the Pub so they will clean out their attics and cellars for us!........kwakers
matchboxuk

Post by matchboxuk »

kwakers wrote:I was also amazed at those figures on Lesney employment Kurt. We Yanks just knew these models as little toy cars that we played with as children. The fact that we never grew away from them, and have played with toys through our entire life just means some of us never left our childhood. With that many ex-employees available, no wonder specials are still being found 50 years after they were done in the factory prototype shop. Get those ex-workers to the Pub so they will clean out their attics and cellars for us!........kwakers
Dick - I understand that there was never much interest in 1-75 miniature pre-production models as there were so few collectors so no money to be made. However, women could take a few home for their children. There was also a Lesney shop where they could be bought for a few pence. Now Yesteryears were another matter and serious money changed hands. I remembered being offered a white Duesdenberg and di I want more. These came out in sandwich boxes but Lesney employed security who had the right to look into the sandwich boxes. Immediate sacking if a Yesteryear model was found. The risk factor obviously contributed to the price. I went to The Savoy Tavern first Monday in every month where Matchbox deals were done - often in corners or even outside. Don't think that many were kept by the workers - how many people today take home things from their employment - if they fetched some extra pin money, they were happy.

Nigel
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hmm! so what have those guys who work at the Condom factory got in their lunchboxes!!!

Ghosty.
motorman

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Hmm! so what have those guys who work at the Condom factory got in their lunchboxes!!!

Ghosty.
Chewitts??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Evening All,

Heads up/reminder that the Annual Wellington City Toy Collector's Fair is fast approaching. It will be on Sunday 22 June, doors open 11am.

The venue is the same as the past couple of years at the St. Mary's College Gym, Hawkestone Street, Thorndon, in central Wellington. This is straight off the Wellington Urban Motorway (you can't miss it) at the Hawkestone Street exit Southbound if you're coming from the Hutt Valley/Porirua or further North. It's also just a short walk from the central bus and railway stations in downtown Wellington.

This fair is the biggest of its type in New Zealand with 80+ tables, and sellers from Manawatu/Whanganui, Hawke's Bay, Bay of Plenty, Waikato and Auckland attending, as well as a number of locals that stall out exclusively at this fair. We'd love to have some sellers (or buyers) from the Mainland, but are yet to lure any over Cook Strait (there's always next year if you can't make this one). Attendance was down last year probably due to stormy weather, but we still had well in excess of 1,000 people through the doors.

Make yourself known if you do come - I'll be on the door or the floor throughout with my namebadge! I'm reliably informed that Steve/Matchboxkiwi will be in attendance as well.

PM me if you'd like to book a table - we are down to the last few (about 5) available tables though, so they're sure to be snapped up soon.

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
fixer

Post by fixer »

anyone going to Sandown next week ?
reg
motorman

Post by motorman »

The wife wont let me!! :( :(
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
fixer

Post by fixer »

motorman wrote:The wife wont let me!! :( :(
tell her you got a 24hr duty ;) ;) I may even let you hold that orange javelin :D
reg