New variation SF19 F1 Lotus

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
hotwheelsbob2000

Re: New variation SF19 F1 Lotus

Post by hotwheelsbob2000 »

As far as why a British F1 car would be considered for a US promotional, The Lotus although a slightly different model from the F1 was considered the car that started a revolution in the Indy 500. Winning the 500 with a rear engined car in a race that was dominated with front engined "roadsters" before. Since the engine used was a Ford, it was advertised all over the place by Ford for a number of years. I equated the #19 lotus with that Indy car and it was a favorite of mine since I started collecting in 1965.
I love the Lotus F1 and have been trying to collect variations of it, so this yellow one blows my mind.
Could this have been a one off promo sample that was rejected by the Yum Yum company? Purely conjecture on my part.
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

Did we hear from Canada?
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Nada! I guess the company doesnt wish to reply or is still researching
just_lesney

Post by just_lesney »

Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

just_lesney wrote:a new twist to the tail.
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti ... hitem=true
That's very interesting.....
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

and they turn up in the UK which may mean that these could be the rump of a consignment sent to a UK Yum Yum from 1970.....
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

SMS88 wrote:and they turn up in the UK which may mean that these could be the rump of a consignment sent to a UK Yum Yum from 1970.....
...or it could be a remnant from the factory of an aborted promotional (which is why no one's ever heard of it).
motorman

Post by motorman »

Wow what a development. Mick finds one in the wild, i start shouting "show me some other example!!" and what happens some bugger puts 4 into a sale room as one lot.

This certainly throws the cat amongst the pigeons, as we now appear to have a selection of "Yum Yum" examples, could it have been a promotional after all that never got released for an as yet unestablished reason?

I still feel a little bit of reservation, in the back of my head i still keep asking.....if this possible promo is over 4O years old, why have we not heard or seen another example in the past 40 years, why all of a sudden do 5 examples appear in the space of 3 months? Fate?? It just seems very very odd to me.

That said, I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
numi

Post by numi »

numi wrote:This specimen does look somewhat like a color-trial.There would be a ten-fold added bonus if the Yum-Yum decals are proven to be legit.
Nice find anyway Mr Mick.
numi
Im glad i was right!! As the British would say " Safe my mate"..phew!! :lol:
Mr Mick,your Yum-Yum find has finally taken its rightful place with a true Lesney identity...congrats. :D
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

motorman wrote:Wow what a development. Mick finds one in the wild, i start shouting "show me some other example!!" and what happens some bugger puts 4 into a sale room as one lot.

This certainly throws the cat amongst the pigeons, as we now appear to have a selection of "Yum Yum" examples, could it have been a promotional after all that never got released for an as yet unestablished reason?

I still feel a little bit of reservation, in the back of my head i still keep asking.....if this possible promo is over 4O years old, why have we not heard or seen another example in the past 40 years, why all of a sudden do 5 examples appear in the space of 3 months? Fate?? It just seems very very odd to me.

That said, I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
No reason forum members shouldnt club together to win that lot of 4 when they come up for auction next month - 4 cars for 4 members here!