So which Scorpion 1-75s are the real ones?

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
vetrad

Re: So which Scorpion 1-75s are the real ones?

Post by vetrad »

Discussions like this really draw my interest so I thought I would try to spur this one on a bit by throwing my thoughts out there. Discussions like this are also hard to have publically because it is so easy to offend or upset someone who may have a variant in their collection which may be proposed as being questionable. That is not my intention and my comments are only meant in the interest of academic discussion.

Alex, I have seen pictures of the 52 Dodge Charger, 47 Beach Hopper and 68 Porsche with (front)45/(rear)scorpion labels. I have never seen these models in hand and do not know their original origin. I personally do not consider them production models and I do not think they belong in the definitive source guides. Perhaps people who own these can share them and offer their perspective if they want to.

Fixer to address your purple Dragster scorpion, I believe that is a widely accepted variation, as is the org-red issue with similar labels. I have seen these pictured on metallic red issue models but I do not think that is a production issue, similar to the previously mentioned models.

The wear on yours is prevalent but appears proportionate to the model. The white nicks on the labels edges are fairly uniform around the circumference of the rear label and more heavy on the front of the front label (less significant on the back half where it is protected by the motor). Your purple issue has the labels oriented in the same direction, which is how other issues of the purple I have seen are. Interestingly, all of the org-red issue with the scorpion labels I have seen are in opposite orientation. I assume this is because the models where produced at different times (purple later) and the model makers were instructed different ways. Bottom line, looks authentic to me and besides, what a silly model to try and fake because you would use 2 scorpion labels to do it ;-)

Pierkemimi, thanks for posting your scorpion models. I hope you do not mind me commenting on them. From my understanding, the “68” label was the default label Lesney applied to the Porsche during its life. There were shortages of 68 labels and during these times other labels including the “45” (from the 45 Group 6), “137” (from the 15 VW saloon) and scorpion label where used on the model. The model you show does not make logical sense to me because the scorpion labels would only be used when there were no 68 labels. And while this is tough to be sure of in your picture, the front 68 label and its edges seem well preserved. The rear scorpion label seems to have a lot of asymmetric whitening along the rear that catches my eye. You are best able to see this in hand, what do you think about it?

The other model you show is quite an interesting lighter bronze color. I am curious if this is uniform onto the base of the car and inside all of the deep bottom recesses of the casting. In fact, can you just peel off the scorpion label and tell me what color the paint is underneath (Ha ha, don’t do that!). My only reason to comment on that is the model paint looks quite dull/faded and the label seems to remain quite bright. It just strikes me as a little disproportionate. However, the front of the label does seem the most damaged and that is what I would expect as it was rammed into other cars on a track. I cannot see from your picture if there is subtle lifting of one edge of that label or small creases/lines on the label but those are what I would be looking for very closely.

-David
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

If I can have my two pennies worth, I understood these models came about form label shortages around 1973 when the strikes were on. The scorpion labels were left over from the scorpion cars for the track set series which never really reached sales targets as they were too expensive.
I'd never personally pay much for these models as it very hard to tell what's genuine and what's not. In fact I have a number of spare labels myself and could easily decorate any model I wanted too.
Unfortunately as with any thing Matchbox there are no hard and fast rules as to which sticker went with which model. For example a narrow wheeled MB68 Porsche would be very unlikely to have a scorpion stickers on it. Where the purple MB18 Road Dragster is highly likely to have scorpion labels because it changed colour around this time.

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Pierkemimi

Post by Pierkemimi »

The difficulty is that sellers know that models with scorpion label have high prices. The last few years you can find models with the label but the label is a little different with the old labels.

When I look by Falkensteiner there are many variations. To my knowledge and experience there are 4 mod rod (silver or unpainted base, little or big mod rod on the back), the road dragster purple and red (labels are turned when you see the 2colors togheter, otherwhise big fake), the Porsche have my 2 variations, other off these are fake, even in blister because profressional fake sellers can nowdays make everything. The blue shark excist with clear and amber glass and the last red model has one variation.

Other models that presented are fake.

Concerning Porsche 68 : because someone saw the model on ebay know sometimes you can find one. Due to internet xellers are bying fake labels and make the model.
It is beter to buy a model not mint, mint models are to my opinion to nice that they show up now.

My model of the Porsche with 68 and scorpion label is real because i bought it from an old guy over 70 years old. He has boxes full of played and damaged cars that nowbody wants.
After looking in these boxes for a few hours I found the model in one off his boxes. He never new that such models with scoprion labels excists.

To me there are 11 old variations and nothing more.

The big probleme is when you look in boxes with the plastic models there is sometimes labels left with scorpion labels. I have three boxes off those and none has the labels. Perfect box with no labels ?
Professional seller. The labels must be under the model in the box.

My knowledge is because these models are my top favorits. Searching for atleast 5 years everyday to find a new variation but the last 2 years my list is complete of finding a real model.
Pierkemimi

Post by Pierkemimi »

Sorry, but i forgot the hairy hustler. Thee are atleast 4 models also with scopion label.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Here are my Red and Purple SF#19 Road Dragster Scorpions, the red showing the reversed labels and purple showing the uniform labels. One of my favourite SF's.
Attachments
2012-06-10 17.08.14.jpg
2012-06-10 17.08.14.jpg (78.95 KiB) Viewed 795 times
2013-09-29 15.08.55.jpg
2013-09-29 15.08.55.jpg (58.32 KiB) Viewed 795 times
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

There were so many unused 1970s Lesney stickers on the market when the London factory closed that today its impossible to prove whether or not any uncommon sticker variation is original or faked so I ignore them unless they come for a discount on the price of the well known standard versions which are just fine for my collection. Personally I will not be any part of fakers profiting from creating rare label variations or the mugs who have bought them and now wish to shift them.........
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

No worries Mick! These Scorpions road dragster do not sell much higher than a normal one. But Harvey has some nice scorpions in blisters, these are surely note fakes?? :shock: Or do someone think that blisters can be faked so good that no one can see it?? :roll:
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Dr Jazz wrote:Or do someone think that blisters can be faked so good that no one can see it??
I think they can and I think I know how it's done. (There is another Forum member who knows for certain how it's done.)
As for Harvey/Hardy, well, after his little 23c adventure, I don't think we can set any store by what he peddles (which is very sad).
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Idris wrote:
Dr Jazz wrote:Or do someone think that blisters can be faked so good that no one can see it??
I think they can and I think I know how it's done. (There is another Forum member who knows for certain how it's done.)
As for Harvey/Hardy, well, after his little 23c adventure, I don't think we can set any store by what he peddles (which is very sad).
I agree with everything idris has written in this post (for once :mrgreen: ).
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

SMS88 wrote:I agree with everything idris has written in this post (for once :mrgreen: ).
Hold the front page! :D