So which Scorpion 1-75s are the real ones?

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
scmcollection

So which Scorpion 1-75s are the real ones?

Post by scmcollection »

This is my short answer (in order of rarity on the UK market):

Mod Rod
Blue Shark
Road Dragster
Hairy Hustler
Turbo Fury
Porsche 910 (label on the front only)

How does this tie in with your own findings & how many of the advanced collectors are missing the last two? Interestingly I had two variations on the Turbo Fury, one with the 5 spokes and one with 4 spokes (no Rola-matic function), both were purchased for no significant amount of money as part of original owner 'shop bought' collections in the early 90s before they took off in price. Please fill in with the variations you have found, add any models you think are missing from my list & note below any you believe to not be not the real deal.
mbox75

Re: So which Scorpion 1-75s are the real ones?

Post by mbox75 »

Hello scmcollection

i have:

two Mod Rod unpainted and gray Base
two Road Dragster red and purple
one Blue Shark
four Hairy Hustler NR: 137 with black and green Base, NR 5 with unpainted Base, NR 3 with black Base
non Turbo Fury
non Porsche 910

in this order of rarity

Cheers Mathias
SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!
scmcollection

Post by scmcollection »

Thanks Mathias, who else can add to this?
vetrad

Post by vetrad »

I have a 4-spoke Turbo Fury and a scorpion one. I have seen the 4-spoke model with Scoprion label listed but have never seen one. I found my 69B with scorpion on a poorly advertised USA auction about 8 years ago and did not pay much for it so I think it is genuine. Of course, since I am choosing to show it I better get ready to be disappointed ;)

The 68A Porsche with scorpion is definitely a rare beast. I do not own one I think is genuine, but I think real examples exist. I have this one I purchased before I knew better -- it has the narrow wheels and I think is a complete anachronism with the timeline of when the scorpion labels were applied (should have wide wheels). I am not sure what to do with it, I am not comfortable selling it, I do not want to throw it away, so, I keep it until I find what I think is a genuine one. Here is a picture for reference.

There were some odd scorpion label combinations that showed up on vectis a few years ago, a 47B Beach buggy and odd rear placement on a 68A porsche (I think with a 45 label up front). I heard from the buyer of the Beach Buggy he felt it was a label transfer as it had an odd clear coat (maybe cellophane tape), but I never saw the car in hand so I cannot comment from personal observation. I noticed Christian removed those from his site so I assume he decided they were bad models.

-David
scmcollection

Post by scmcollection »

Your 4 spoke Turbo Fury is fab, well done on finding that one. Your Scorpion Turbo Fury can be checked easily; I will send you a message about that but if you got it from a low value poorly described listing on US eBay I feel you are quite safe.

On the Porsche, its hard to check from an internet photo (so much better in hand) but I feel you can see evidence of tampering on your label, a rough edge where it was lifted by the savage that made it is the first tip for me. Under high magnification (8x) check for extra fine hairline creases in the label, this is a sure fire sign of a transplanted label, you are correct also in your observation that it should not have the thinner type of wheel.

David has brought up an important point, what do we do with perfectly good models that have been customised or altered, especially those that have all original parts?
motorman

Post by motorman »

scmcollection wrote:This is my short answer (in order of rarity on the UK market):

Mod Rod
Blue Shark
Road Dragster
Hairy Hustler
Turbo Fury
Porsche 910 (label on the front only)
Interesting but i am curious about the #68, why have you mentioned (label to the front only) into the equation?

I am aware of at least one example from a very informed and highly regarded matchbox collector who sold an SF#68 with RN45 label to front and scorpion label to rear with the correct wide wheels through a very reputable auction house with no concerns raised as to its integrity.....are you seriously suggesting anything other than a front bonnet scorpion labeled #68 is a fake??? I dont follow this ideal please clarify.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
fixer

Post by fixer »

This is the only one I have a play worn road dragster in purple found at a bootsale /fleemarket for pennies, assume it's Ok
Attachments
DSC_0384_20140310224629204.jpg
DSC_0384_20140310224629204.jpg (141.94 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
reg
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

I'm the same as Reg - just the purple Road Dragster in my collection - I can't remember whether I paid 1 or 2 pounds for it from a junk shop in the UK. It's in similar condition to Reg's.

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

I have seen 2 68 with scorpions labels and I did not like them for that high price. I agree with scm on labels on superfasts are a bitch. So many ways to tamper with them. Do you all remember that SF32 green BP tanker with ARAL labels sold on ebay for over 250£ last year?
Pierkemimi

Post by Pierkemimi »

My favorite models :

Have 4 different mod rod variations. Will take a picture of all my variations of scorpion models (12).
Have overall about 30 to 40 Scorpions collected over the last 5 years.
Here my prosche 68's.

Image[/URL]